Solved! Sony Vaio PCG-61511M Black Screen

ChaosWater

Prominent
Jun 12, 2017
I recently picked up a Sony Vaio laptop from a carboot sale for £20 which I thought was a good deal. On closer inspection I noticed that there wasn't any RAM or HDD, but luckily I had 2X2GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM and a 160GB HDD laying around.

I installed the RAM and HDD into the laptop and turned it on, but unfortunately I wasn't greeted with a post screen instead it was a black screen, fan isn't running and for some reason after a minute or two the laptop turns off.

The RAM and HDD worked fine from a previous laptop.

Can someone give me an indication as to what this could be?

Solution
I hate to be so negative so soon but either the motherboard or CPU could be faulty. It wouldn't take long to check the ribbon cables that connect the board to the keyboard and the screen.

ChaosWater

Prominent
Jun 12, 2017
Yes it's on mains electricity as it doesn't have a battery. I have tried removing RAM and using both sticks at once in both different slots. Brightness isn't turned all the way down, I've tried connecting a HDMI cable to the TV and it doesn't display anything. Tried hitting all the keys and nothing is happening.

ChaosWater

Prominent
Jun 12, 2017
Is it possible that it doesn't recognise the RAM? I've checked the manufacturers specifications and it states that the chipset and processor only work with PC3-8500S 1033Mhz and I'm using PC3-10600S 1333Mhz.

ChaosWater

Prominent
Jun 12, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from ChaosWater : "Sony Vaio PCG-61511M VCPEE2S1E RAM Issue"

I recently purchased a 2nd hand Sony Vaio laptop and have been having an issue where it's displaying a black screen upon startup. I know that it's definitely a memory related issue as the original owner put the memory he was using in the laptop and it booted, however when I put my memory in it just displays a black screen.

It's a different brand of memory, but it's the same specs as the original owner was using (1RX8 PC3-10600S-9-10-B1) He was using a 1GB and 2GB sticks whereas I'm using 2X2GB sticks, but I'm sure that shouldn't make a difference as the maximum supported memory is 8GB.

I have tried using both sticks separately in both different slots and it still displays a black screen.

I doubt both sticks of memory are faulty, but I guess there always the possibility.

I have also tried taking the CMOS battery out for a minute and that didn't make a difference either.

The fan spins, hard drive is running, but in mythed as to why it's displaying a black screen?