Sony Vaio Won't Load any OS

patelb14

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
I bought a SONY VAIO VPCEB2UFX/BI Laptop a little over one year ago (warranty just expired).
Here is a link to view all the computer components:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834127206

It was working fine last night but when I tried to turn it on this morning, it would get stuck at the windows 7 splash screen. In fact, it doesn't even load the logo completely. It freezes right when the animation begins so all you can see are two, small colorful dots with "WINDOWS" underneath. Now when I turn it on it gives me the option to Launch Startup Repair, but after the "Windows is loading files..." screen, it simply hangs at a black screen.

I've tried multiple things throughout the day after searching on the internet:

All 3 Safe Modes --> begins to load windows files and gets stuck at CLASSPNP.sys
Any other mode in the Advanced Menu --> black screen
Windows Memory Diagnostic --> Pass
Reseating the RAM (and using only one RAM stack at a time) --> no change.
Sony Vaio Recovery Disk and Windows 7 Repair Disk --> Both hang at a black screen
"Reset Optimized Defaults" in the BIOS menu --> no change

Ubuntu Live CD (after selecting "Try without change to computer" or "Install from Disk") --> black screen with blinking "_"
Knoppix Live CD --> shows Knoppix Logo, begins loading something and then goes to a black screen

At this point I don't really know what to do. I'm decent with computers but won't be able to do anything too advanced (unless I could get a step by step guide). After searching a lot online, I think it may be a hard drive issue. I have some files for school that I need from it which is why I haven't wiped it clean yet. I am considering buying an external hard drive enclosure to transfer the files onto my desktop first.

Any suggestions on what to do next?

Solution
yeah seems like it's either the mobo or the CD drive. as I said, you can check if it's the CD drive by hooking it up to a desktop and see how it performs.

if it's a mobo problem, and it's no longer on warranty, typically it's not worth the money to replace, because the amount of money you'd have to pay for replacement you can easily add a $200 and get a new laptop

good luck

AntiZig

Distinguished
yeah sounds like a bad hdd, since it seems there's no problem with showing advanced graphix

have you tried to load linux from CD (the option that doesn't do any installation?) and see if it recognizes the HDD fine? that could allow you to transfer your files and then try chkdsk or similar, or worst case wipe it.

kd0frg

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
take the HDD out, insert a large USB flash drive or SD card (such as a 8gb) and try installing unbuntu to it from a cd/dvd or any other linux OS.. if it works without fail its probably your hard drive.

patelb14

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
@AntiZig Yeah I tried to load from the CD and it produces the same result as trying to install (blinking "_")

@kd0frg Took out the HDD, inserted 8GB USB and tried both installing and booting Ubuntu from the Live CD... still only shows a blinking "_" on a black screen. Does this mean that its not a HDD problem? By the way, I didn't format my USB drive for anything.. should I have done something with it before trying this?

patelb14

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Just took out the HDD and connected it to my desktop computer. I was able to get all my important files off it without a problem. I deleted and formatted the drive. When I put the HDD back, it says "Operating System Not Found". So, I tried using a Windows 7 Disk but it still hangs at the windows logo after "Windows is loading files..." is done. The Ubuntu/Knoppix Live CDs do the same thing as a mentioned above.

Any ideas on what I should try next?

AntiZig

Distinguished
hmm, so it detects the drive fine and copies the files to it just the finishing part doesn't work out? Or does the CD never finishing loading properly?

you might want to take the CD drive out and hook it up to a desktop and see how it performs, might be that it can't read the CD properly

patelb14

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011

My desktop detected and copied the files from the HDD fine. When I put it back into my laptop, the BIOS shows that it is there so the laptop still recognizes it. I currently don't have anything on it so the "Operating System not Found" is what I expected. Not sure if the optical drive is an issue.. it is able to read the Knoppix and Ubuntu Live CDs (shows the boot menu options such as Run without changes to computer, Install to Drive, etc..) but the laptop just goes to a blank screen after selecting one of those. If I was to select "Test Memory", which is in the Ubuntu boot menu, it runs the test fine.

I contacted Sony Support and they said that since the Memory Tests all passed, the RAM is probably fine, and the HDD seems to be okay since I was able to copy files and reformat it without a problem. So they said the problem is most likely the motherboard :(. Not sure if it is worth replacing...

AntiZig

Distinguished
yeah seems like it's either the mobo or the CD drive. as I said, you can check if it's the CD drive by hooking it up to a desktop and see how it performs.

if it's a mobo problem, and it's no longer on warranty, typically it's not worth the money to replace, because the amount of money you'd have to pay for replacement you can easily add a $200 and get a new laptop

good luck

Solution

patelb14

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Took it to a repair shop and they figured out that it was a motherboard problem (faulty SATA connector on the mobo which caused other problems). Time to look for another laptop!

Thanks for all the replies