Sony Vegas extreme long render time

Sparkky1337

Estimable
Apr 25, 2014
Anyone maybe knows why it takes hours and hours to render 5:30min long video. I have fx6300 and gtx660. I puted some effects on the vids (sharpen and magic bullet looks). I tried to render using CPU only and RENDER USING CUDA IF AVAILABLE but still nothing. Its slow as shit. Im rendering the vid into my D drive where I have 600 gb free. On my C drive where is sony vegas installed i have only 5gb free. Is it possible that that is causing this extreme long render?

RCFProd

Honorable
Herald
Dec 8, 2013
What are you using to cool the FX-6300 down? Make sure you don't let it overheat with It's stock cooler in operations like that.

And also I think It's mainly your render settings you have to tweak. You using 8GB RAM aswell right?

Reyaz123

Estimable
May 8, 2015
Depends on the format you are rendering it at. If you are rendering your video as .mp4 format, you will see the speed difference

From personal experience, I have a d drive as well and regardless if you are transferring or creating a large file into that drive, the entire system tends to slow down.

Reyaz123

Estimable
May 8, 2015

Transfer some files from your c drive to your d drive to make room for that video you are rendering.
If it renders quicker to the c drive, it is just the drive you are putting the file into

Reyaz123

Estimable
May 8, 2015

Yep, render it to the c drive.

When transferring to another drive/partition, it is supposed to be slower (this is why D drive transfers take longer when saving files to them)

There can be other factors why it may be slow.
1.Disk fragmentation could be one cause. Run a program called defraggler to defragment D drive and see if that helps
2.Run a virus scan on that d drive. Viruses can also could slower transfer speeds

Reyaz123

Estimable
May 8, 2015
Only one way to find out by testing it out (if you didn't let it complete defragmenting, I suggest waiting until its done)

That's a good amount how much were defragmented, should improve performance overall

What format is the original, enedited, video file in? The original file format can make a huge difference with rendering times. While I agree that it would be a good idea to clear some space on the C: drive I'm not sure I agree with outputting the file to the C: drive. However, it may be worth a shot to see if it is faster. Generally speaking it is not optimal to render to the same drive that the editing program (in this case Sony Vegas) is installed on. Are the source files stored on drive C: or D:?