Sony Vegas Pro 13 keeps crashing - Windows 10

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012
Hi guys.

I am not sure if anyone can help me here, but I am having an issue with my main video editing software since I have upgraded my PC. I have NEVER had this issue as often as it's happening.

I am not sure if this is an OS issue, a video card issue, or a Vegas setting issue as I upgraded my motherboard, processor, video card and operating system all at the same time.

Vegas CONSTANTLY crashes. It seems that it is crashing whenever the video preview window is open and I try to play the time line for an extended period of time, or if I bounce around the time line to different play points. I have tried using one screen to preview the timeline, and a dual monitor setup. It is constantly crashing either way.

When I close the video preview window, it doesn't seem to crash much at all (example - during rendering it would sometimes crash, but when it is off it doesn't crash at all). I am starting a pretty good sized project, but right now there is only a SD video and a still image on the time line. With the dual monitor setup (outputting to my PC monitor via DVI and to a HD TV via HDMI), it crashes almost seconds after hitting the play button.

I am not sure if this is a windows 10 issue, or an issue with settings. I upgraded to my first 'real' graphics card when I upgraded this machine, and I am not sure if there is something I missed in Vegas to properly handle the new card.

Here are my system specs:

-AMD FX 8350 8 core processor at 4.00GHZ
-16Gb of ram - G.Skill Ripjaws series
-GeForce GTX 960 graphics card from MSI with all the latest Drivers
-Windows 10 Pro with all latest updates

This is driving me NUTZ! I can't get anything done on this project, and I am constantly saving in fear of a crash. The crashes don't seem to give specific details, it just asks if I want to reprt it to Sony. I doesn't bother me if this happens once in a while, but this is literally seconds/minuets apart. PLEASE shoot me any suggestions or ideas you may have to fix this. Thanks!

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012
I was using Vegas on 7 without issues, but I found some suggested settings that may have fixed the issue. I have not done heavy testing yet, but so far the simple task I was doing that caused a crash 4 times in a row is no longer causing the crash.

In Vegas, if you hold shift and ctrl while clicking preferences, there is an extra tab full of settings. I turned off multi core rendering for playback and then in the general tabs setting I turned off the "GPU acceleration of video processing". So far, I have no crash issues (knock on wood).

I even opened up a finished project from last week where I was ready to pull my hair out because of the constant crashing I was experiencing under an already time sensitive project. I purposely did the things I knew was causing it to crash to see how it would respond, and everything was fine. So I think between these 2 settings, I may have fixed this. Thanks for the reply though! I'll follow up if I have issues down the road when this project gets more items on the time line.

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012
I actually did not do an upgrade from 7 to 10. This was a fresh install. I know that there are way to many head aches with upgrading as opposed to fresh installs. Thanks for the replies though! I love this forum!

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012
So far, yes. I have been adding clips, adding transitions, and doing basic editing functions without a single crash so far (knock on wood). Where as before, I would get a crash within the first 5 to 10 seconds of starting the bare bones of the project. So I think I have applied settings that have cured my issue. We'll see what happens when I start adding more effects and more items to the editing time line.