Sony video problem

PoolQuePete

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
Hi Guys

Got a Sony VAIO VGN-SZ1VP/C, it has a switch on it for speed or stamina, speed uses the NVIDEA video card, stamina uses the Intel video card to save power, if I boot in stamina it is fine, if I boot in speed the screen looks like the video memory is corrupt, it has lines and numeric characters on it, this happens from the BIOS screens to the blue screen of death when it stops so I don't think it is a driver problem, I think the Intel GPU is integrated, is the NVIDIA GPU on the motherboard or a daughter board? or anyone got an ideas?

Pete

Solution
Even if the GPU is a separate board - coming across a replacement is probably harder than finding a replacement motherboard...which isn't easy at all.

PoolQuePete

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009

Machine is 4 years old and has been working fine, I got it 1 week ago as a dud, not had back off yet, it looks interesting, don't want to spend a day with it in bits to find it needs a motherboard, I was looking for a ribbon cable out or a dud daughterboard and to make sure that I am going in the right direction, looks like I will be living with the Intel GPU, will keep checking this thread, thanks anyway.

Pete