Sony Warns About 3D Dangers on PlayStation 3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
[citation][nom]feeddagoat[/nom]So is everything in todays society really. If it doesn't cause cancer, it lowers your IQ or turns you into an axe wielding nutjob. Its more the fact that this 3D technology has only been around for a relatively short time in the mass consumer market and because we're not all exactly the same, people will react differently (phyiscally) to the new technology. After all it does "trick" you mind into perceiving 3D images rather than actually producing them like in most sci-fi films and shows. As Nintendo pointed out there is a chance 3D could harm younger children due to developing depth perception at that age tho the effects haven't yet been documented fully. If anything this is more a way of covering themselves in case any adverse long term side effects from prolonged use does do physical harm. The Nausea and headaches are the body's first warning that something isn't right. It kinda reminds me of the experiment where they used glasses that inverted the image when people looked through them. After a while the brain adapted and displayed what it was viewing correctly and when the glasses where removed the person saw everything inverted. While their view returned to normal again, who knows the effect 3D could have on your brain long term. TBH I guess overall this is more protection from any potential law suit. We do live in a sue happy culture.[/citation]

Here is Johny!

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]I've always taken breaks every couple hours while gaming. Am I alone in this?[/citation]
Yes you are, because you're clearly not collecting enough DKP.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
[citation][nom]dextermat[/nom]lol just wait in a few years something better will get out:Do you remember when Nintedo got out: Warning: it may cause seizure and stuff lol[/citation]

There is an episode of Pokemon that was pulled due to people in Japan having epileptic seizures.

xophaser

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2007
"Aside from the 3DS, which doesn't require glasses, an easy way to keep young children from viewing the 3D image is simply to keep the glasses in a safe place away from them."

C'mon Tom Hardware, the PS3 will use glass for 3d, but the 3D DSI will not. Understand your information before posting.

G

that's funny!
They never print these remarks on a viewmaster or binoculars!
Powerful binoculars also provide a wider stereoscopic image than what a regular eye would see.

Can a 3D DVD or blueray be seen as a regular movie on a non 3D screen? (meaning, just like a regular movie?)

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
3D is boring technology. Until EVERYONE has 3D without glasses, its useless. Hell even HD isn't adopted yet. I am very tech savy and jumped on HD-DVD (it was the better value, only people with Blu-Ray players cant see it). But since then, broadcasters switched to digital and lost most of all my station and im in the suburbs. now I have zero tv stations and only use netflix. The TV/entertainment industry just keeps shooting itself in the foot. I am 2 miles away from Faux News. TWO... and I get 0 signal from them. Everyone else 75 -90 % ... faux news. 0... tried new attenas, digital boxes, amplifiers, etc. It is simple stupid that it's even an issue.

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Strider-Hiryu_79[/nom]What an epic fail of a comeback.[/citation]
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Sorry buddy, I left my last witty comeback on your momma's face[/citation]
BOOM!!! PWNED!!!

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
stereoscopic glasses make you go cross eyed to view the image in 3D, of course it creates discomfort. i didn't like this tech. in '01 and i don't like it now. no 3d for me i'll stick with 720p/1080p for now. also without the glasses it is impossible for someone else to watch the TV. stereoscopic 3D sounds like a gimmick, not a viable investment(much like the wii, sony move, MS kinect).

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
True 3d is hard to do and come by. Unless those some really designed glasses and tvs. So like any TV or monitor and graphic intense applications, software, and programs. There are those risks, but limited if handed correctly. But a new level of 3d graphics does present the new riskes.

vaskodogama

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]I've always taken breaks every couple hours while gaming. Am I alone in this?[/citation]
source= Barney Stinson in HIMYM "Come onnn, Dudeee" :D
but as for the article, 3d gives a little dizziness and depth confusion, not good for kids!

Status
Not open for further replies.