Sony's Cloud-Based PlayStation Vue Wants to Kill Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
All fine and dandy until Comcast and Time Warner go tell Tom Wheeler about how they don't like this idea and they start charging Sony to deliver content over cable.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Yeah it remains to be seen what the owners of the FCC (Comcast, TWC) will have to say about this. One thing that I'm not keen on is having to use my PS3/PS4 for it. I like to give those boxes rest and don't want them on all the time. Also, I'd like to know if a household like mine with multiple Playstations (2 PS3s, 1 PS4) can use them on the same account for different TVs throughout the house.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
For me, if it means having to buy a PS-whatever, that is the same thing as a contract and an install since I do not have one. Also, I will not buy one just for this service. Once again, it appears Sony is trying to monopolize its market by making a stupid decision to lock it to a PS-whatever. While it might be popular among PS-whatever owners, it will fail elsewhere if it is locked to having a PS-whatever.

fixxxer113

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
For me, if it means having to buy a PS-whatever, that is the same thing as a contract and an install since I do not have one. Also, I will not buy one just for this service. Once again, it appears Sony is trying to monopolize its market by making a stupid decision to lock it to a PS-whatever. While it might be popular among PS-whatever owners, it will fail elsewhere if it is locked to having a PS-whatever.

Whatever dude :p

Pedasc

Estimable
Mar 12, 2014
wiyosaya: Did you miss the statement where they had mentioned this will come to iPads? That makes it seem to me that they aren't going to limit this or lock this to the PS devices for too long. I would say they are limiting this to PS-whatever devices for now since they control the ecosystem and can easily push updates and work out the bugs while they work on porting this to other devices. Don't worry, I'm sure Sony will find some other way to make this unappealing.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Won't kill cable as you will need Cable Internet to use the service. Cable providers know this and have been moving in the direction of internet based television for some time now. This is why Comcast was adamant about getting netflix on board with renting Frequencies. It will be how we get TV from a wire in the next couple years.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
You know how certain dumb group of people think that Net Neutrality means something else because... well, their idiots.

Now knowing, that it prevents company A from abusing their customers for using services from Company N, etc, etc.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Sony is so perpetually hacked, they can't even keep their internal networks online. I wouldn't trust this service to be very stable. I also wouldn't want my personal information on any Sony server.

Nerdtopia

Estimable
Nov 19, 2014

Sony's servers are just as vulnerable as anyone else's its just the fact that people target Sony a lot more.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
You got that right. Funny right after I left a comment they took down PSN! Odds are good you can call something like that since Sony is perpetually targeted. They definitely hold the bulls-eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.