Sony's Lens-Style Cameras: Last Gasp for Point-and-Shoots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

glasssplinter

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Minimum $250 for a massive lens that I still have to carry around and then attach for a picture? No thanks. My Canon p&s is smaller then this and will still take better pictures faster then this setup. I'm just wondering at what point consumers settled for quality. We went from 110 film to 35mm, then digital came out and quickly improved. Everyone loved the massive improvements they thought they got with each extra megapixel. Then smartphones came out and everyone is happy with the quality? Don't get it...

Jeff Krogue

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
I take it back, I watched the video and thats pretty freaking cool. You can set the camera up somewhere an control it remotely. You can take the family pic with you in it, and see if everyone is smiling when you take the pic. This feature actually has a ton of possibilities. Maybe wildlife pictures, but if you get up close with a camera you disturb their behavior, with this no problem. I wonder how the pic quality compares to a medium priced dslr.

Jeff Krogue

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
You can take high angle shots were previously you were limited by eye level or by standing on something, no this is cool.

kyzarvs

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
My Fuji FinePix S4500 bridge camera was ~£110 with a 30x Optical zoom and all the features and quality that's above a phone but below a full DSLR (hence the term 'bridge'). Not sure how 3x the price for a bit of kit that is not as good is progress?

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
@ Chill1221
That is a bold statement. Thinking like that takes place every generation and the funny thing is, every generation proves that kind of thinking wrong. Never say never my friend, that only leaves room for someone to prove you wrong. Camera phones have come a very long way in quality and my Note II takes stunning pics and video. It may not be as great as a DSLR but it rivals P&S for what I use it for. With technology, anything is possible.

Jeff Krogue

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
@deftonian

Its a pretty safe bet, electronics get better, image sensors get better, but the optics have the same limitations as they did 30 years ago.

gggplaya

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
The major real advantage is you can write cool camera software which can add many effects to the photos while their taken. Also the internet connectivity of your phone. Take an awsome photo and upload directly to facebook.

gggplaya

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
They should just take this image sensor and put it into their Xperia line of smartphones with a fixed large apeture lens. Even if it adds a 1/2" of thickness, people who take photography seriously will line up for it as long as it still fits nicely in your pocket.

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Sorry chaps, but this lense uses NFC - that means it has a very limited range unfortunately. Otherwise all of these wildlife and portrait ideas would be sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.