Sony's PS Vita Already Doomed? Devs Bailing Out?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]mauller07[/nom]It would sell far better if the 3G version was also a fully functional phone, at its price it might aswell be a phone/portable console.[/citation]

As if anyone uses their smart phones as phones anymore.

I honestly have no clue why people are so willing to leash themselves onto 2 year contracts with companies that treat them like trash and charge whatever they feel like. Then again, there's the non 3g model for people like me. All they really need is a VoIP client like Skype to handle calls.

[citation][nom]lasaldude[/nom]Just put COD on it and they will sell millions! BOOM I should just work for Sony since they have no idea what they are doing![/citation]

Sony doesn't own CoD to put it on anything. So I agree, you'd be perfect for working at Sony.

It pains me to do it, but I agree with Sony. Some anonymous claims that 3rd party titles are being canceled? Which titles, which companies, any further info to justify the claims? Otherwise it really is just smoke.

That's just on those claims though, Sony is still screwing up majorly. It isn't in the price like you cheapskates want it to be either, it's in the functionality. If you're going to release what is supposed to be a multifunction device, it needs to have those functions out of the box. At release, the Vita should have music, movie, VoIP, messaging, and other popular apps out of the box. It should also have the choice to get your own apps. Otherwise it isn't comparable with any other Android based system. And how many titles are out on the "PS Suite" that's also a selling point here? If it isn't over a hundred, don't even bother calling it a feature. Sony isn't delivering the selling points of the system on release, and that's why they will fail. Sony in general has been run for years on brand name alone, with people buying Sony because they know Sony used to be a good brand. You can only fool people for so long before your reputation is lost, and it's a lot harder to get it back.

G

lassik

"True, gamers and people into tech know about it. But to the general population, this thing just doesn't exist! I live in the UK and I haven't seen a single advert for it.. and it launches in 5 days!

Sony's very bad lack of marketing will be Vita's downfall. There's 3DS adverts on TV all the time."
--------

That's true, i'v never seen any adverts of it, or my brothers/sisters talking about it... they should be hitting as many channels as possible - hitting as large a population as possible.

.. Hell even come up with an advert that sticks in your mind... poor marketing IMO

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]PS3 had a very slow start as well.[/citation]
The PS3 technically only had to compete with two other devices (Xbox and Wii) as well as maybe PC gaming if you wanted to include that. The handheld market is absolutely flooded with alternatives. Just off the top of my head, some of the Vita's competition: Android, iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch, laptops, tablets in general, any flavor of the Game Boy line, and let's include the PSP as well. There're too many options to justify the Vita as a must-have device when the pie is cut into so many pieces. Combine that with a high price, no compelling reason to ditch the PSP, as well as well - the lack of games, why should it fly off of the shelf?

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
im going for a 7" asus tablet instead the web browser seems half ass on vita and i do a lot of surfing. the only draw back is controlling a game on only a screen is horrible. plz asus make a attachable controller Tegra 3 is great for gaming after all.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
The problem imho is that their target market is being eaten away by smartphones. Devices like the iPhone have enough graphic power to show some damn impressive things for a phone (Infinite Blade for example) so there's no need to get a dedicated device.

But in any case, we will see how it fares when it launches. I'm planning to pick up one.

cronik93

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
[citation][nom]lassik[/nom]True, gamers and people into tech know about it. But to the general population, this thing just doesn't exist! I live in the UK and I haven't seen a single advert for it.. and it launches in 5 days!Sony's very bad lack of marketing will be Vita's downfall. There's 3DS adverts on TV all the time.[/citation]

What's funny is that I am a gamer and into tech. But I don't watch E3 though...

thecusith

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Vita's biggest issue is it's price. Should be $200 for the wifi version and $250 for 3G. I know that may sell at a loss at that price (it's hardware specs are cutting edge), but $250-$300 is more than most are willing to spend for a handheld console with the current world economy. I know I want a Vita. It has better hardware overall than the 3DS and a better launch line up as well (not by much, but it's something).

Give me my wifi version at $200, include 8GB of internal memory, and stop using those damn proprietary memory cards, then we'll talk business.

I waited for the price reduction for my 3DS and I'll wait for the price reduction on my PS Vita.

alxianthelast

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
So isn't a better question how can you get Zynga games on Vita and Sony to get a cut of those profits?

Rather less simplistic, how can you get Zynga, Popcap/Playfish and XBLA/XBLIG/PSN devs to make premium versions of free, and free-to-play games and MMOs for Vita?

Obviously some are happy making games for Nintendo because they know they can make a profit, if they don't want to experiment with premium titles on Vita how can Sony expect to pull enough casual and hardcore people to hope for Vita to survive?

alxianthelast

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Also,

Having asked why devs are bailing, rumour or not, can't Sony entice them to stick around by making playing games on Vita a service where the point isn't buying games, but providing access to games? One that you're likely to consider a PS3 to play a better version on when you get home?

Like Netflix, Unlimited access to all games for a monthly fee, one for access to demo versions and another fee for access to Full games? Which hopefully pushes you to buy a PS3.

Since at least in America where premium mobile gaming isn't as prevalent yet as in Japan, and some Vita owners have and will need a data plan regardless, that data plan should be linked to a content plan.. (just accessing a GPS service, Augmented Reality maps/games, Netflix on demand, may not be worth it to most people if they have no games to play, or limited to what they can afford to buy at a crazy premium, not that Vita has LTE support so you could go crazy downloading or streaming high quality games) why not license several games if not all available games and pay for the right to play versus charging people a premium to buy them for such a huge premium?

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
It'll have staying power for a handheld. I finally saw a decent commercial about it, like a PS3 in your pocket. Considering there are well over 50 million PS3's out there now that's a large market in itself even if only 20% plan on getting one in the next year. When people get tired of switching phones every year playing the same crappy touch shovelware, realizing they're wasting money, they'll go to a true portable gaming/media device that delivers what they could never give. The problem is the Vita launched at the worst possible time. Japan is pretty much in survival mode, and while the U.S. is better people just aren't willing to spend as much as normal right now. When that changes, and the Vita's in their budget, it will gain steam. No pun, but if it's on PS3 maybe that will also be on Vita down the line.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]nice!this thing needs to be priced around $120-150 at launch. smartphones cost more, but they also do more. psv is aiming for a niche market without even knowing. sony shouldn't expect high sales numbers from it.[/citation]
smaryphones cost in the 6-800$ range when they aren't subsidized.
that said, they are screwing us on memory cost, a needed aspect for this system.

[citation][nom]mauller07[/nom]It would sell far better if the 3G version was also a fully functional phone, at its price it might aswell be a phone/portable console.[/citation]

they have to get the idea that its a phone out of peoples heads, otherwise they may end up selling 1 million of them, but they only sell 20-30k for the best of the games.

going half phone half console is a REALLY bad idea. now if the phone aspect of it was an adon... like a headset mic combo, and it use the psp as a go between i could see that working great. you just cant make the console itself a phone.

---

i have more to say but will do that after i eat.

d-isdumb

Honorable
Feb 11, 2012
The original outselling it. Maybe because people still like to own their own content, aka games are on a UMD and no mega-corporation can take that away.

thecusith

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
[citation][nom]thecusith[/nom]Vita's biggest issue is it's price. Should be $200 for the wifi version and $250 for 3G. I know that may sell at a loss at that price (it's hardware specs are cutting edge), but $250-$300 is more than most are willing to spend for a handheld console with the current world economy. I know I want a Vita. It has better hardware overall than the 3DS and a better launch line up as well (not by much, but it's something). Give me my wifi version at $200, include 8GB of internal memory, and stop using those damn proprietary memory cards, then we'll talk business.I waited for the price reduction for my 3DS and I'll wait for the price reduction on my PS Vita.[/citation]

How about instead of mindlessly down voting my thoughts on this matter, you actually step forward and convince me I'm wrong. Please present your argument. I am open to intelligent discussion.

G

The PS Vita doesn't have enough games to justify the purchase for many yet. It is true that the 3DS is doing better now. However, the 3DS is a poor hardware performing unit and many will want to build a better game. However with a number of titles to be released on the Vita, I expect to see sales go up. However, the price of the unit has to go down 50 dollars to justify the purchase. In fact, the 3DS was in a similar rut, selling at 250, that the Vita is now in Japan. Lack of competent games on launch. Heavy price tag, however what people don't know is that several Vita games are outselling entire console lines. Ragnarok Odyssey nearly sold its stock. Gravity Rush is doing awesomely with over 63,000 sold last week. There is a good market for the Vita, that with games can get better. I look forward to it.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]lasaldude[/nom]Just put COD on it and they will sell millions! BOOM I should just work for Sony since they have no idea what they are doing![/citation]

this shouldn't be thumbed down, sony has a habit of making the hardware with a, if i make it they will come, attitude, and than it takes a great game to make people want it, instead sony whould make hardware and focus on 2 or 3 games that will force the people to come.

[citation][nom]dextermat[/nom]Is it hackable[/citation]
thing should have enough power to play a ps2 game, when its hackable and i can take around my collection of ps1 games, and other consoles on a sd card, i will get it, but memory is retardedly expensive for the thing currently.

[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]As if anyone uses their smart phones as phones anymore.I honestly have no clue why people are so willing to leash themselves onto 2 year contracts with companies that treat them like trash and charge whatever they feel like. Then again, there's the non 3g model for people like me. All they really need is a VoIP client like Skype to handle calls.Sony doesn't own CoD to put it on anything. So I agree, you'd be perfect for working at Sony.It pains me to do it, but I agree with Sony. Some anonymous claims that 3rd party titles are being canceled? Which titles, which companies, any further info to justify the claims? Otherwise it really is just smoke.That's just on those claims though, Sony is still screwing up majorly. It isn't in the price like you cheapskates want it to be either, it's in the functionality. If you're going to release what is supposed to be a multifunction device, it needs to have those functions out of the box. At release, the Vita should have music, movie, VoIP, messaging, and other popular apps out of the box. It should also have the choice to get your own apps. Otherwise it isn't comparable with any other Android based system. And how many titles are out on the "PS Suite" that's also a selling point here? If it isn't over a hundred, don't even bother calling it a feature. Sony isn't delivering the selling points of the system on release, and that's why they will fail. Sony in general has been run for years on brand name alone, with people buying Sony because they know Sony used to be a good brand. You can only fool people for so long before your reputation is lost, and it's a lot harder to get it back.[/citation]

they have skype if im not mistaken

but sony effed the back umd catalouge up. chargeing in some cases 50$, while in japan there is a you own the umd, you get the game policy, of sorts, don't know if its out and out free or if its at some cost.

[citation][nom]matt_b[/nom]The PS3 technically only had to compete with two other devices (Xbox and Wii) as well as maybe PC gaming if you wanted to include that. The handheld market is absolutely flooded with alternatives. Just off the top of my head, some of the Vita's competition: Android, iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch, laptops, tablets in general, any flavor of the Game Boy line, and let's include the PSP as well. There're too many options to justify the Vita as a must-have device when the pie is cut into so many pieces. Combine that with a high price, no compelling reason to ditch the PSP, as well as well - the lack of games, why should it fly off of the shelf?[/citation]

android, ios, and nintendo those are the only 3 mobile platforms. a laptop has a non mobile platform that was made mobile, those dont count.

really the psv is only competing with the 3ds, anyone who says that their iphone or their android is good enough, doesn't play games and opinions are moot. you are playing a time waster, not a real game, which the psv and 3ds have plenty of.

[citation][nom]thecusith[/nom]How about instead of mindlessly down voting my thoughts on this matter, you actually step forward and convince me I'm wrong. Please present your argument. I am open to intelligent discussion.[/citation]

you dont understand that you are being cheap... that a iphone/android of even close to as powerful sells in the 600-800$ range, but you pay for it through subsidized contracts over 2 years that ad up to over 2500$

you are asking for a price cut of a 250$ and well worth it system, to compete with a phone you pay up front anywhere from 0-200$ but over time pay well over 2500$, thats why you are downvoted.

hell you didnt even sugest that there was no system selling game in japan to account for the lack of sales, and you didnt even ask how popular uncharted was over there...

i believe nintendo made a collosal mistake at cutting the 3ds price so eairly... they had no compelling game to sell the system, they should have waited for a mario to cut the prices... and not put out a crap game every month and wonder why no one is buying the system.

G

I would only get one of these if.
A) someone gave it to me
B) it was only 199.99 for a vita, and 7.99 or less for 4 gigs of memory ($2 or less per gig) and it was completely hackable to play emulated games and play games from a memory stick AND a new dissidia game was out only for the Vita.

Looks like I'm getting a 3DS. I already got one for my girlfriend, and she loves it. Not just for Zelda or Mario Cart. She loves the Find Mii feature, the pedometer feature, and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.