Sony's PSPgo May Get External UMD Reader

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
I believe Logitech actually did comment on this by saying "This is not something that our company is working on"
-Logitech's Sarah Youngbauer.

News should be abit more fresh and up to date if you ask me. No offense.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]mr_tuel[/nom]OR...you could avoid all the hassles and just buy a regular PSP[/citation]

Exactly.. I guess htis move is better than then admiting the pure fail of PSPGo. Only one person that I know of personally bought it and I havent had enough of me making un of him about it. he thought it was gonna be cool when he doesnt even own any handhelds ever since the original Gameboy. Yeah stoneage, but likeme he never really needed a handheld. I really dont know what drove him to buy this thats also useless..

reddozen

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
16 GB memory, it actually fits in my back pocket, I don't have to carry around a lot of stupid mini disks, and I can tether it to my phone via blue tooth for internet. Yea, such a horrible gaming platform... UMD is fail. I don't see people complaining that the DSi can't play game boy games. Now, I do agree that some of the downloads should be cheaper, but I can also download a HUGE library of PS1 games for $10 (60 last time I counted). We all know that a large majority of the people hack and mod their PSPs... those same people can just as easily rip their games from their UMDs to put on their go without Sony to worry about.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]reddozen[/nom]16 GB memory, it actually fits in my back pocket, I don't have to carry around a lot of stupid mini disks, and I can tether it to my phone via blue tooth for internet. Yea, such a horrible gaming platform... UMD is fail. I don't see people complaining that the DSi can't play game boy games. Now, I do agree that some of the downloads should be cheaper, but I can also download a HUGE library of PS1 games for $10 (60 last time I counted). We all know that a large majority of the people hack and mod their PSPs... those same people can just as easily rip their games from their UMDs to put on their go without Sony to worry about.[/citation]So many things wrong in here where to start...

> The regular PSP supports a 16GB memory stick.
> Why are you putting a $250 gaming system in your back pocket?! Not only is it easier pickpocket, you also run the risk of cracking the screen or shifting it open and then snapping it.
> Congrats on hacking your phone to use it as a wireless hotspot. Enjoy your voided warranty.
> UMD movies failed, UMD for PSP games did not, the games themselves (for the most part) failed.
> People don't complain about not being able to play Gameboy games because People don't play the gameboy, kids do. If it isn't bright, shiny and flashy, kids want nothing to do with it. Second point, Nintendo stopped selling them nearly a decade ago. Sony is still selling UMD PSP games.
> All PSPs can Download the "huge" library of PS1 games.
> Can't argue with the hacking.
> Why would someone who already owns a UMD library, a PSP 1k-3k, spend more than they originally spent on a PSP pay for a PSPGo and waste their time ripping the discs?

If the PSPGo was at a better price point, it would be worth migrating too. At $239 though it's just not worth it.

dtemple

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
Logitech may bring an eternal Universal Media Disc (UMD) reader to the PSPgo.

Eternal, just like UMD load times.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Dammit people!
The whole point of the PSPgo N1000 WAS NOT to be an upgrade for existing PSP users. There WILL BE a PSP 4000 (back with UMD and all) for those who prefer it.

Some of us actuyally prefer the smaller, lighter, more convenient and digital only PSPgo.

Sure, Sony screwed people going from the psp 4000 to n1000 with the whole UMD jumble, but hey, we'll live.

I'm also all for hacking a PSP too. The PSP needs to be an open platform. There are so many actually useful programs for the PSP that can only be used on custom firmware.
But as long as I can get most of the games I want for $20 (GoW, Daxter, R&C), I'm more than willing to pay.
I however WILL NOT pay $40 for a PSP game. It's also dissapointing I can't get a refund on games I dislike (armored core 3, which was such an awesome console series, but downright dissapointing on the PSP, and syphon filter dark mirror, which I find boring).

Part of the point of the PSPgo was to rid of UMD's, but alas, I guess we can't kill them off if we even try.

Make the PSP a more open platform, offer most games (even most new ones) at $20, put a second analog stick (were the current start/select are, and move the start/select up) and increase it to 32GB, and I'll upgrade to a PSPgo N2000 if I have the money at the time. Give me a higher resolutin screen (1024x768, what most web pages are optimized for), a 600MHz cpu (a 1GHz phone is coming, so 600MHz doesn't sound like it's asking too much), multi touch, 256MB of RAM (I'd be happy with a upgrade from 64 to 128 though), wireless N, and better battery life would make it worth well over $500 (I may even go as far to say I would pay $800 for such a thing, a powerful ultra mobile computer that's still dedicated to gaming, unlike powerful smartphones).

I can wish...

griffed88

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
I got my pspgo for 200 on ebay with a case included. It is definately worth it. There is no noise from the umd disc spinning. It fits in my pocket and I don't have to go to bestbuy or gamestop to get a game. It really makes is PORTABLE. While the psp 3000 can fit in my pocket it's definitely not as compact nor as sleek as the go. it really is a very sexy piece of equipment. The slightly smaller screen actually seems larger than the psp 3000 due to the fact that it has thin edges(its all about perception). The screen makes games look better.
While i agree that game prices are too high(i wont pay more that $25 myself) and the system isnt worth more than 200, it is a great system and definitely worth buying for those who don't already have psp. I sold my psp 2000 back in february and if i still had it i wouldnt have gotten a go, but since I don't, the go was definately worth the upgrade.

griffed88

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
EDIT: meant to say "while the psp 3000 can download games from PSN" not "can fit in my pocket"(i'm a tad tipsy lol)

cielmerlion

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
while it might be more portable, the screen is also smaller. Way smaller. Its basically the same size as iphone and that is not acceptable to me so i got the 3000 instead and a 16gb mem card. I havent bought a single UMD for my 3000 yet.

pochacco007

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
psp-go is all digital distribution. it failed. this means digital distribution is not the right way to sell games and the wrong direction to be heading in video games or in any media. low sales and a release of a disc drive for the psp-go means that no one wants or cares for digital distribution as people want to own the property.

this also means, on-live is bound to be a failure.

G

Reports today indicate that 3rd-party peripheral manufacturer Logitech may bring an eternal Universal Media Disc (UMD) reader to the PSPgo.

holy cow!!!!.....wish they also bring an eternal xbox360....LOL

just kidding...lol

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Eternal Universal Media Disc (UMD) reader?

Downloadable gamers?

I'm not usually much of a nitpicker when it comes to writing errors, but when it changes the meaning of a sentence that much...

Status
Not open for further replies.