Sony's SOE Suffers Breach, 24 Million Affected

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Something tells me this all has to do with the large amount of employees they recently fired.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I read that just before the hacks took place Sony laid off 1/3 or 200 of its people for online entertainment to try to get their books into the black, supposedly those laid off people may have caused this entire thing...

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
Wait, so Sony's SOE was hacked before the PSN but they didnt know until now? Sony really needs to look at its' security and needs to really make some heads roll. Also these little "perk packages" for its users isnt enough. This information is very important to keep safe and trying to pay off its users to just ignore all of this and trust them again with roughly 20 bucks worth of freebies (around 10 bucks for the service extensions and prob some 10 bucks worth of dlc)...which doesnt really cost Sony anything (maybe 2 bucks if that of actual production cost). Is that really the rate for someone's personal information? Especially when they arent sure if the CC info was stolen from the PSN (all the news articles from Sony I have seen just says they arent sure and it can not be ruled out), so I should be able to wear a corporate Sony shirt and give some random people on the street a 2 dollar bill for their credit cards and usernames/passwords? I will admit that I am a Sony fan (well playstation), but this really just p***es me off. I am so glad that I havent used my CC to add funds online and just bought psn cards from gamestop/bestbuy instead. Although all of my other information was/might have been taken. I personally would like to see Sony investigated for its security, which maybe it should be required by these credit card companies to ensure the security of its users.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
they are saying a month free. but really i want a month of double or tripple exp. i dont have forever to live, and these games may not last another year, so i want the most out of it as fast as i can, and the only way to do that is simulate 3 months in a 1 month period of time.

slothy89

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]they are saying a month free. but really i want a month of double or tripple exp. i dont have forever to live, and these games may not last another year, so i want the most out of it as fast as i can, and the only way to do that is simulate 3 months in a 1 month period of time.[/citation]You're more concerned about your CoD rank than the fact your identity has been stolen and could be used illegally? Wow your priorities need a good checking..

cyberthug

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]they are saying a month free. but really i want a month of double or tripple exp. i dont have forever to live, and these games may not last another year, so i want the most out of it as fast as i can, and the only way to do that is simulate 3 months in a 1 month period of time.[/citation]

Some people really need to do some sports..

bvillan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
You know, this puts a lot of devs in a kind of awkward position. My God, there's a fairly important trade show in a month, and Sony's gonna have to spend half of its time kissing @$$ and touting security while trying to drum up excitement for both exclusive and non-exclusive software. That's going to be tough and I can see 3rd parties putting Sony at the bottom of the bill in smaller font; they're gonna have to display an awesome balancing act or Microsoft may have a pretty sweet forecast till EOY.

G

After the breaches, a $104 charge to some online grocery store in San Diego showed up on the credit card I used for online purchases at PSN. I'd get new cards if I were you all.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]they are saying a month free. but really i want a month of double or tripple exp. i dont have forever to live, and these games may not last another year, so i want the most out of it as fast as i can, and the only way to do that is simulate 3 months in a 1 month period of time.[/citation]

Bro, your mom's gonna be upset when she finds out you used her credit card to sign up for PSN.

mook33

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I had oer $400 show up in charges...two days before the Sony letter to the public regarding their network breach.
At first I thought it was coincidence -- after reading about everyone else's issues...I don't think that anymore.

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Sony should think twice from now on before take actions against its customers! Instead of messing with hackers in courts they should try to improve their product. This episode alone could be end of ps3... if they keep take out the good in it and impose stupid ones (like other os and that cinavia thing) and go with that "pay for anything" there will be less buyers, i for one regret allready for buying PS3 as each update cripple it more in both functionality and fun... PS3 does not do everything like they advertise! I`ll say SONY ask for this, and it is good for them to get a spanky, maybe they will wake up!

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]Bro, your mom's gonna be upset when she finds out you used her credit card to sign up for PSN.[/citation]
Assuming this is wrong, IMO. I agree that I don't have forever to live. I agree that most MMO are designed to be as addictive as possible with little rewards and lots of ""delayed" "gratification"" (double quote intentional). My experience with WoW taught me to never go with a leveling game like that again. Even a ranked skill game turns fun into work somehow.

x3style

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
This is prof of concept that no matter how big of a company you are you should never EVER insult the hackers community.
I think until Sony publicly apologies for the insults directed at the hackers community they will destroy Sony. No matter how much security they put up it will never stand a chance in the face of the thousand brilliant minds out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.