SOPA Not Even Passed and Work-Around is Already Available

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

c_herring

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]If they pass this, I'm going to comb over the whitehouse.gov website for ANYTHING that might remotely be copyrighted by somebody else and file to have their site de-listed.[/citation]If it passes then we should really report the site of every congressman that votes in favor of SOPA, citing the provisions that give us the power to do so. Nowadays plenty of them use YouTube or link to the sites of newspapers, and they probably don't understand that the content they like to show about themselves is not owned by them.

custodian-1

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
I'm willing to bet there is no internet site out there that doesn't have something in them that someone has copyright on. Support http://demandprogress.org/

nicodemus_mm

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
I think on Day One that SOPA is in effect (assuming is passes) people need to accuse the following websites of copyright infringement. Remember, it doesn't have to be proven, just an accusation.

Everything listed here... http://www.usa.gov/directory/federal/index.shtml

I bet when ISP's shut down every gov't website, in accordance with the law, the legislators responsible for this tripe will think twice.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Well if the accused has to take down their site before any guilt is proven, I don't understand how this bill would hold up in court. If it does then I don't understand why any joe schmo couldn't just file a complaint saying that Google.com is infringing and force them to shutdown until they prove otherwise. This is basically allowing a guilty until proven innocent scenario. Thankfully I don't live in that f*cked up country.

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Congress can't decide what they want for lunch let alone how the internet should run. By the time they agree on anything, there will be a work-around in place.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Not really about copyright or anything like that.. its just something the government wants in place so they can have ISP's install snooping equipment that they could tap..
which won't really affect any one using their computers for illegal activity of any variety.. between the plugins listed here, and more sophisticated ways of getting around it such as tunnel encryption, this will be a useless endeavor on every front, but the government can catch the soccer moms downloading one or 2 songs..
Its a big joke, the whole damn thing is a big joke.. ACTA in EU has already been passed, so I figure its only a matter of time before the US asks China how it did the firewall, with the EU right behind us..
Land of the free huh?
jack asses...

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Of course a workaround is possible. This is just a reminder of the dire technological illiteracy in the corridors of government. The other reminder is Apple's popularity.

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Where there's congress, there are stupid people passing ridiculous laws to show they are doing something, anything to avoid doing real work.

emperornicon

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
why not call the voters in the 21st district of texas ie the voters of Chairman Lamar Smith (R-Texas) by randomly dialing numbers 210 area code figure out the inerchange 821 and then the last four digits and bam random calls
ask them why they voted him in and blame them for the death of the internet!

richgoose

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]No, fandroid, they aren't. Congresscritters are unaccountable leeches, who live in their own little world, lording it over the rest of us. They buy votes of the ignorant masses with unearned benefits (which has bankrupted the country), and only support those who fill their campaign coffers; anyone else be damned.[/citation]

this guy gets it... big ups^^

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
SOPA is intended to create US internet same as China's internet, in other words censored. Yes it could help fight piracy, but it could also help kill any website that publishes materials that government doesn't like.

G

What is really unfair is that Canadian ISPs use most of the same DNS servers as the US, and as a Canadian, not a US citizen, I have no voice whatsoever on this bill which will (if it passes) destroy my Internet.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]hetneo[/nom]SOPA is intended to create US internet same as China's internet, in other words censored. Yes it could help fight piracy, but it could also help kill any website that publishes materials that government doesn't like.[/citation]

Actually this won't stop piracy at all. I doubt it will even hinder piracy much but it may hinder talking about piracy. Like the vast majority of all "anti-piracy" technologies and such it will probably just inconvenience the legitimate users far more than the pirates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS