Sophos: Ping Slammed With Scams and Spams

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
"Ping" is a stupid name as it matches the very common "ping" command (ICMP echo) used to test server response times by games and gamers everywhere. Rhyming with the stupid Bing name (slang for jail) doesn't help either.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
A brand new Apple software easily attacked and hacked? NO WAY!!! Apple is safer than Windows software!!!!!

This was totally expected. Apple has such a high view of themselves that they don't use even the most basic protection. Its also why a Mac running OSX is much more easy to hack than Windows Vista or 7.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
As Apple gains market share, it is becoming obvious to everyone that they are no more secure than Windows. It's all a matter of time until robust Internet Security Suites will be a common thing for the Mac.

There is nothing Steve can do about it. It's a trade-off between having an unexploited system because of diminute market share and a big market share but being unable to brag about much better security compared to Windows.

It's life, Steve, get used to it!

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Guys guys plz don't flame for the wrong reasons, this has nothing to do with software and security, unless they are exploiting holes in OS X server to deliver spam and bogus messages.

If I understood correctly it has to do with regular spam and scams like the ones we see here in TH which I guess (bored to check) runs on a safe linux distro

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
hahahaha...this isn't even a virus, the first virus to hit that service if well written is going to be a gold mine, apple users will buy into anything believing they are 'safe' in there 'sandbox'..well the cat just got in and first thing it did was use it for a 'litter box' hope they patented the term icra.....nvm.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I guess Apple thought it could moderate posts with its army of iTunes AppStore App Approvers (TM). I guess apple should stick to what its good at, suckering in people with shiny plastic covers for $1 worth of dog turd... I'm sorry, I meant selling iPods and iPhones.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]Wait.. what? Your profile picture has to be "approved" by apple? lol just another reason to avoid it.[/citation]
Understood, in case it's a picture of a fat old man with his knob out
Even though I updated to iTunes 10 within minutes of the download becoming available, I seriously doubt I will ever use Ping.
BTW, The only good Ping are the Sultans Of Ping FC.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Understood, in case it's a picture of a fat old man with his knob outEven though I updated to iTunes 10 within minutes of the download becoming available, I seriously doubt I will ever use Ping.BTW, The only good Ping are the Sultans Of Ping FC.[/citation]

But that can happen on any social network and people just report it and it's no big deal. Requiring approval for everything is just plain stupid.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]Can you guys stop quoting all the unknown security firms trying to draw some attention to themselves by spreading bullshit about everybody?[/citation]
Sophos are not an unknown security company.
Just because they don't have large yellow boxes on sale in Fry's does not mean they are not a known entity in the security world.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]Can you guys stop quoting all the unknown security firms trying to draw some attention to themselves by spreading bullshit about everybody?[/citation]

sophus is one of the bigger security companies in the enterprise and government sectors ... you fail

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Sophos are not an unknown security company.Just because they don't have large yellow boxes on sale in Fry's does not mean they are not a known entity in the security world.[/citation]

You mean it's not on sale at the Apple store so he doesn't know about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.