[Sound card] Should I get the Asus STX or Sound Blaster Z for gaming?

Pixelpoint

Estimable
Jan 17, 2016
Hello!
I recently purchased the Sennheiser G4me Zero headphones and use them on my motherboard with a ALC892.

But I am having some issues:

• * The audio quality sounded a little flat and there is some "crackle" sound in bass-heavy songs (sounds like there's not enough power to support the bass. song used in my test). The above "bass" issue is resolved when I plug them into my iphone 6s
    * The microphone is a little low, I need to boost it to get a normal level (+10 db)
    * I feel I don't get the best out of my relatively pricey headphones
And so I decided to buy a sound card (don't think I want a DAC+AMP setup, because of clutter and I need the headphone and mic input to be close to eachother).

So I've heard great things about the Sound Blaster Z, so I almost bought it, then I got an offer to buy a Asus Xonar Essence STX (it is used... for 3 years) for the same price as the sound blaster. He said the card has no issues what so ever.

I want to have the best possible gaming experience for ~100usd sound card. And make the bass+general audio not sound sooo flat as it does now (I know Sennheiser focus on a genuine bass experience and not like INSANE LOUD KNOCK MY EARS OFF bass experience)

TL;DR
Should I buy the Sound Blaster Z or the Asus STX, when paired with the Sennheiser G4me Zero. And my main focus is to get the best experience while gaming

Thanks for reading everyone, and if someone here actually owns a pair of Sennheiser g4me zero and can give me their advice, that would be insanely superb!

actually the game zero is going to be bass light no matter the source. they are designed that way and tend towards mid/treb than they do towards bass. the game one (based on the hd598) is more neutral and has more bass but again, isnt a basshead can by any means.

the stx is a better card all around. it has a better dac and amplifier and is higher quality.

the problem being its used and if you have problems with it you're stuck. with a new card you could always return/exchange. your choice on if you want to take a gamble or not.

SinxarKnights

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
I have the Sound Blaster Z and can personally vouch for it. If you only use the headphones there is no reason not to get the STX though. However if you want use speakers or surround sound, the STX is not what you want as it is a stereo amp designed for headphone use.

Pixelpoint

Estimable
Jan 17, 2016
Thanks a lot for your replies!
Yes, I just heard someone with an DAC/AMP saying that the bass were sooo much better than with onboard sound. I don't want the DAC/AMP setup ofc, but yeah I know what to expect from the bass in these headphones. (I actually own Logitech g35, it has some bass, and I don't like it).

About the STX being used.... 3 years, it's alot right? I had a sound card for 5 years and it broke.. So I might just get a brand new one instead. I don't know.

But considering what SinxarKnights is saying, I now reaaally want the STX...

Darn, hard choice.

SinxarKnights

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Funny thing. I just looked up what I got for onboard sound, "Crystal Sound 2" - A.K.A. ALC892. I have used it in the past (when switching to Windows 10 from 8.1) and despite what Asus claims, it sounds like garbage in a juicy dumpster.

Pretty much any decent sound card will give you superior audio quality in comparison.

I recently picked up the Sound Blaster Z on sale for $60 on the Creative store, I was using a Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer before that but decided to get rid of it because Creative released broken drivers for Windows 10 then put it in the "end of life" bin so no hope of them fixing it. I was scared of the switch but thankfully... they sounded the same? It is weird statement but they sound identical and I am happy for that.

The major difference between them is the STX is amped while the Z is not. The Z is a general purpose sound card.

Pixelpoint

Estimable
Jan 17, 2016
I just got an offer to buy a 1year used Sound Blaster ZXR (!!) for the same price...
I am sold, I will most def. buy this!

I guess it's better than both the Z and STX, so it is a no-brainer :) What do you guys think?

SinxarKnights

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Has similar specs to the STX. Has an amplified headphone output on the card and is able to be used with speakers as well. Just make sure you get the complete package from the seller. It has a daughterboard and a desktop volume control included.

The output for speakers is 2x RCA for L/R and 2x 3/4 for C/RL/RR, the headphone output is 1/4". Don't know what size your plug is but you might need an adapter if you don't have one already.

personally i consider the STX better than the ZxR but sinxarknights is right, its not a bad card. if the card is shown to be working and you get the complete kit that might not be a bad deal... but the real question is "why is he getting rid of it". generally people do not often take a loss unless theres a problem (trying to offload the issues to someone else) or they have financial issues.

Pixelpoint

Estimable
Jan 17, 2016
Thank you for the fast replies!

I do not get the complete package, the external Audio Control Module is not included. But I figured that I don't need it anyway... right?
I also get the receipt, so I get the full warranty if something gets broken.

Yes, I know I need some adapters for it. But it is no problem, can pick up some cheap ones on a local store, if it's not included. (I need the 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter, as Sennheiser Zero uses 3.5mm for both audio and mic... 1/4'' is the same as 6.3mm jack, right?).

Regarding that the STX is 3 years old, I don't want to take the chance AND I don't get a receipt on the purchase. So, it is an overall better deal to purchase the ZxR imo.

Will ask him why he wants to sell it.