Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Do uninstall/reinstall the Sound card driver of the laptop.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the Sound driver.
- Once done, you can either just reboot the laptop and it should reinstall the driver automatically but It would be better to download and install the latest Sound card driver from the manufacturers site.
- Once the sound card driver has been installed do test it again.
- Make sure to set your headphone as the default Playback device if it's plugged in.
- Right click on the speaker icon and select Playback Devices.
- Once open and you see your headphone listed, right click on it and select Set Default. Click Apply and OK then test it again and see if the same problem will persist or not.