Sound coming from inside new laptop with ssd harddisk

Dragos_6

Commendable
Nov 16, 2016
Hello,

I have just bought a new ASUS laptop,UX501V, and lately, a sound has started to come from inside, like a grinding screeching noise, it doesn't seem to go away no matter what position i hold it in, the sound is similar so what an old pc would sound like when doing heavy disk operations. Any ideas ?

I have recorded the sound it does

https://youtu.be/LvSYkYE03a4

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Hi there Dragos_6,

This laptop has an SSD right?

SSDs should really make any sounds. It could be a fan, that is making that noise.
As the laptop is a new one, my suggestion would be to contact the place you got it from or the manufacturer's Support on that.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

ayocoded

Commendable
Nov 16, 2016
if it has fan,definitely its the fan.engr needs to open it up and fix it,also if its fanless,that should be the SSD.
I will advise you consult the engr as quick as possible

ayocoded

Commendable
Nov 16, 2016

Though SSD or HDD does make noise while booting,not a minimal level.a louder noise shows the SSD or HDD is getting faulty.I will advice you to save ur data in external drive

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015

Both SSDs in this computer (a Crucial and an Intel) have made the same kinds of noises. It's something on the motherboard.

The Intel has moved into another computer, and no noises from that one. Actually, the computer made the same kinds of noise years ago when it had a spinning hard disk in it, but it's done it since new.

ayocoded

Commendable
Nov 16, 2016

that simply means you need to take it to the repairer to check it for you manually.It might be the fan,there might be a cable touching the fan

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015

Fan's fine, noise is completely unrelated to the fan. It is when there is high disk activity. Laptop's been this way for 6 years. If it finally quits, I won't really care too much.

I was just saying that it can be a characteristic of certain computers. My old Core 2 Duo laptop made similar noises from the opposite side of the computer from the hard disk when the hard disk was being accessed.