Sound doesn't sound right

spray2000

Estimable
Dec 2, 2015
Ok, So I have a kicker comp sub that's a ten inch I think 4 ohms and 500 watts and I'm using to a home receiver running 100 watts per amp and the receiver is a kenwood from I think 2007, And I have been running it clean so far, But I have to turn the bass down by alot or the receiver will just go right into protection mode. I tested it on my speakers and they get pretty loud about 84 db on my phone, But I know they can get way louder even though i'm using a usb driver that doesn't put enough sound anyways i'm thinking of getting an amp since my receiver gets so hot that I can't even touch it.. I haven't had any problems so far using it though so I don't know if I need an amp or not. One more thing is my motherboard doesn't work for sound so I have to use that usb driver thing I talked about and that lowers the sound but I went to my friends house and I hooked it up there and daym that shit was banging our neighbors house but what sucked was I had to bring the bass even more down because the receiver was running more power to the speakers. So do you think I should get an amp or just run it where it's at about 84 db is max, And about 65 to 70db average and it will still knock the breath out of me.

Are you using the receiver to power just the subwoofer? It doesn't have enough power to drive the sub let alone additional speakers so an more powerful amp for the sub along or amp crossover combo would be a good idea. The woofer is also 4 ohms and many receivers are not able to put out even their rated power into 4 ohms.

spray2000

Estimable
Dec 2, 2015
What's a good cheap plate amp that will run about 250 watts or so for my kicker sub at 4 ohms around 60-70 dollars or maybe even less watts I know for sure I need something more then 100 so about 150 to 200 maybe, Since I'm using a 100 watt already for my sub and it can power it to the highest bit..