Sound doesnt work after small fall and headphones break..

Giulia Rosanna

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
I accidentally dropped my purse with my laptop still in it. It wasn't that high of a fall and it was pretty well protected. But I still had my headphones inside the input and they kinda broke off. I got the audio jack out right but now, the sound on my laptop just won't work. I tried restarting it,it just won't work. Anyone that can help me with that? Is there maybe still some part of my headphones in the input and my laptop thinks that it's not supposed to put the sound out of the speakers?

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
Unfortunately if the fall was hard enough to break off the headphone jack then there is a high probability that you have broken a connection between the socket and the motherboard.
You will need to put the laptop in for repair or if you are handy then strip it down and have a look.
If neither of these is appealing then you could try a set of usb headphones.

Giulia Rosanna

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

HI! thanks for the tip with the headphones! i actually undestood you wrong and just put in a pair of speakers and the sound works out of those, so i'm guessing the internal speakers are somehow broken..

makkem

Distinguished
It will be the jack that is broken as essentially it has an inbuilt switch so that when you plug in a jack the inbuilt speakers are disconnected I would think that this switch contact to the motherboard has been damaged.
This means that headphones will work ok but your laptops speakers will not.