Sound Problem with Toshiba Satellite A70! Please help!

varien

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
Hi guys!

I recently formatted my friends Toshiba Satellite A70 notebook. I used Win XP Pro with Service Pack 2, everything was going fine, i installed the necessary drivers that were included (with the exception of the mobo drivers i'm pretty sure) to avoid unwanted extra notebook bullshit that everyone has starting out. Next I installed the audio drivers for I guess what would be onboard sound? It's Realtek AC'97 drivers. Once they didn't work I went on their website and got the latest release from them, installed those and still nothing.

Can anyone help me out with this? I DO remember hearing something about sound conflicts and Service Pack 2 with certain Mobo's, but I don't remember which one's, and I'm not entirely sure what kind of mobo would be in this. I know it's an Intel based notebook, not AMD, I don't know if that helps at all. If anyone can help me with this it would be great. Even if I have to rollback to Service Pack 1 or possibly get further Windows Updates, I've only updated once since I've formatted the computer/installed XP-pro.

Any help on this would be appreciated, thanks guys :)

Edit: I've recently uninstalled the Toshiba Realtek AC97 Drivers, then installed the BIOS Chipset drivers provided by Toshiba, reinstalled the Audio Drivers, and still have the same problem. I hope to christ I'm not going to have to reinstall all this **** again. Can someone please help me out with this?

g-paw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
If you don't have any warnings, i.e., red or yellow symbols, in Hardware Manager, check the audio software settings to make sure nothing is set to mute. There should be settings in the Control Panel as well as the software that comes with Realteck

varien

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
Nope, no red or yellow flags in system devices. I think i MAY have installed the drivers in the wrong order. Possibly putting the chipset drivers on after i installed video drivers or other things. That might be it, but i'm not sure.

g-paw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006

Usually you are supposed to install the chipset drivers before the others. You could try to unistall all the drivers and then reinstall starting with the chipset. Take it none of the mute settings are checked.

varien

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
Yeah, I tried to do that, but i'm not sure which ones i am after reinstalling. I tried a system restore but it's giving me an "incomplete restore" so I'm not sure what to do now. I don't know if I should just re-format everything again...or dare i risk rolling back the Chipset drivers? The bios is flashed so...i dunno if i wanna do that.
That's probably the reason why I can't system restore because of the chipset drivers maybe?

g-paw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006

Clean install would be your best bet if you can't do a repair off the CD'

Harris_82

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
The best way to get this problem resolved is as follows:

1. Uninstall Realtek 97' (audio driver)
2. Restart windows
3. Install Realtek 97' driver
4. Restar windows
5. Now while windows is about to restart on your right hand side on the laptop there is a volume control button make sure it has been turned off all the way to the left.
6. Now re start your windows
7. When windows loads wait till it finishes
8. Go back to the right hand side of the laptop and adjust the volume leaver all the way to the right to increase volume.
9. Try the volume by playing something on your computer ie Windows Tutorial

Hope this solves all our problems.