Soundcard vs. On Board for New Headphones

colmanh

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
Hey guys,

In the past I have always had dodgy headphones, however yesterday I purchased a pair of Sennheiser Game Zeros. I have read an extraordinary number of forum posts about this headset and many people mentioned that due to the 150ohm impedance that it would be essential to purchase either a headphone amp or a decent sound card.

On further reading i've discovered that since then that 150ohm impedance has been reduced to only 50ohm per ear. However, it feels as if the jury is still out on whether a sound card would still be required to run the headset to its full potential. I will be using these headphones on a Z97-A mobo which has Crystal Sound 2 audio in built. This is supposedly separate from the other components on the mobo as to reduce noise etc.

I will be using this headset to watch movies but primarily gaming and listening to music. Both music and gaming are important to me. Should I invest in a soundcard like the Xonar DGX or Soundblaster Z, or will my onboard Crystal Sound 2 be sufficient with the newer 50ohm impedance headset?

I thank you all in advance as I am far from an expert in audio and am in some desperate need of guidance!

Here is a link to the headset if you need the specifics to make a more educated suggestion.
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/27835/sennheiser-game-zero-gaming-headset-black

Thanks again!

Well if it's IMPORTANT to you, then an outboard DAC/Amp would be the ticket. So got another usd200?

As most people I assume you have a budget. Why not listen wo it first and if unsatisfactory, THEN u buy the extra stuff.

Up to you. Is really an individual thing.

Am in the school of, thanks God I don't have golden ears, saved me bundles through the years! :)

colmanh

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
Its more important to me that the headphones are working at their fullest potential. I don't want to spend $250 on a pair of headphones and only work them at 70% efficiency. And as i'm new to decent quality audio i'm afraid I wont know if my headphones are working well or not. Cheers!