Southwest Airlines Testing In-Flight WiFi

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
What is all this crap the FAA gives us about no cell phones, no wireless devices, no GPS (which are receive-only by the way), yet airlines can implement WiFi that apparently doesn't affect the plane? I know these things don't actual affect the plane, so why doesn't the FAA just drop that stupid requirement on the passengers.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
They don't effect the plane. The airlines themselves have admitted that they don't effect the plane. I wasn't aware that GPS is banned (why would you want to use it anyways?) but the reason cell phones continue to be banned is because they are dangerous projectiles in turbulent situations.

Even if you consider that reason frivolous I don't really care. I am glad you aren't allowed to use your cell phone because I, for one, don't care what you are talking about and don't want to listen to your conversation from six inches away.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
I thought it had something to do with coordination (didn't want a coordinated attack). Not to mention just plain annoying on a 4hr flight to have someone have an argument that you can't end. You are unwittingly brought into peoples lives and then when you become annoyed they tell you to mind your business... When in fact it is them that should be minding theirs.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I never said I felt compelled to use any of these items. I was simply listing the ones that are not allowed to be operated while the plane is flying. I also don't like listening to people talk on their phone, but that's because I don't like assholes in general, tayb.

It's completely pointless to ban them. Terrorists will use them if they want to, because you are still allowed to take them onto the plane. I assume the reason they ban GPS is on the same note, they don't want terrorists knowing where the plane is at the moment. It's all pointless though, terrorists aren't going to let some warning from the flight attendant stop them.

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom] I am glad you aren't allowed to use your cell phone because I, for one, don't care what you are talking about and don't want to listen to your conversation from six inches away.[/citation]

That's nice. consider it a moot point with WiFi. Heard of skype, iChat, Jajah, etc.? It's all over for you... hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.