Speaker setup help needed!

DonSin

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Hi I was wondering if you could help me? I'm setting up surround sound in my apartment and the apartment has built in speakers. The apartment has 3 sets of speakers and I have a 7.1 system. My plan is to use 5.1 speakers and then use the center speakers from my 7.1 to get audio out to the built in speakers using a stereo amp and a 4-way speaker channel.

My question is how do I get the audio from my 7.1 into my stereo amplifier?

Could I use the a/v out? Would it send the signal on both the optic and the analog if both are connected?

Solution
All the built in speakers are set for stereo. You should be able to use a speaker to line level converter to connect your stereo amp to the zone B (speaker B) output of the receiver. You may be limited to a 5.1 setup in the surround system when using it since it takes over 2 channels on the receiver. The receiver would need a line level zone B output which it doesn't seem to have.
You will also need an impedance matching speaker selector to connect all the speakers to the stereo amp.
You won't have separate control of volume or music in each room and using the set up won't be user friendly so won't get used much.
I would suggest that you either connect the stereo amp directly to the PC or to a Sonos Connect. The Sonos app will make...

the nerd 389

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
Please clarify your setup. From what I can tell, it looks like this:

Speakers:
- 1 x 7.1 powered set
- 1 x 5.1 powered set?
- 3 x passive stereo pairs
- 1 x built in speakers (I have no idea what they're built into, nor how many channels are involved)

Sources:
- 1 x 7.1 source, type unknown

Amplifiers:
- 1 x stereo amp
- 1 x receiver? (not clear)

And with these, you are trying to run:
- 1 x 7.1 speaker system?

I really have no idea what you're trying to do, or what you have at your disposal.

DonSin

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Hi, sorry about that, my setup is:

Speakers:
1x7.1
3 pairs of speakers built in to the walls and and ceiling of the apartment. The 3 pairs consist of 8 speakers. 4 in the bedroom, 2 in the kitchen and 2 in the bathroom. The wiring for these is setup as 3 pairs of speakers meaning I have 3 sets of speaker cable coming out my wall.

Amplifiers:
1x7.1 (Yamaha RX-V573)
1x stereo amp (Onkyo A-9155

Source: 7.1 sound blaster titanium x-fi

Extra: 4 way speaker system control

I trying to get the same audio from my pc on all speakers.

Hope this helps and thanks!!!

All the built in speakers are set for stereo. You should be able to use a speaker to line level converter to connect your stereo amp to the zone B (speaker B) output of the receiver. You may be limited to a 5.1 setup in the surround system when using it since it takes over 2 channels on the receiver. The receiver would need a line level zone B output which it doesn't seem to have.
You will also need an impedance matching speaker selector to connect all the speakers to the stereo amp.
You won't have separate control of volume or music in each room and using the set up won't be user friendly so won't get used much.
I would suggest that you either connect the stereo amp directly to the PC or to a Sonos Connect. The Sonos app will make control and operation much simpler. For streaming you won't even need to keep your PC on.
Then you could add Sonos ConnectAmps to split off rooms into independent zones as needed.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS