Speakers for my HDTV

Neal Kenneth

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Hello, I bought these lovely speakers for my HDTV but I've never done it before and I've run into a few snags.

These are the speakers : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117406

When I opened the box, two things happened. The first was that I realized there was no cords and the second was that I have no idea what I'm doing. After consulting the manual I figured out that I needed 18 gauge or thicker wire, but after going to three stores, that's all I know.

My HDTV has a single audio-out port, and one person said that means I will need a receiver, but what does that mean? Also, won't the speakers need a power source of some kind or does the audio cable do that itself?

Please help!! I will gladly mail a check to whoever helps me figure this out as soon as my speakers work!

Best bet would a be a receiver with an SPDIF input or really at this point even an analog out put(3.5 stereo cable) to the receiver and attach the speaker wire to your speakers.

A thrift store or a place to buy used stereo stuff, you might only have to spend $20-30 at a thrift store to buy a receiver.

No clue on the best entry level receiver but for your setup as it is now, a 20-30 used one should be fine. And you might be able to pick up the cables their for cheap also.

batuchka

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
To add these speakers to your TV you will need an amplifier with an optical audio input. This can be the least expensive av receiver that you can find or a combination of a separate digital to analog converter and the small amps batuchka mentions.
You can use an older used av receiver just make sure it has a digital input. This will allow you to expand to surround sound and or add a sub woofer.