Speakers playing very quietly

samuraimastr

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
I recently discovered in my basement the remnants of a home theater system bought many years ago. I figured no one was using it now, so I might as well try to hook it up to my computer. Unfortunately, none of the cables I had worked (the input was via the wires in an RCA cable). So I ordered ~http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V0G2C4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00~ and cut off the jacks, and then stripped the casing off of an inch or so. I fastened them into the holes on the back of the speaker, and no sound came out. I switched them around, and very very faintly I could hear the music I was playing through the speakers (keep in mind that I had the volume up all the way). The speakers are 3" across (their are two of them) and the back doesn't have any more inputs. If I plug it into my phone, it becomes, say, three times as loud. If you want a comparison for the sound level while plugged into the phone, think about a third as loud as the speakers on any mid-high end smartphone released in the past year and a half (save the HTC Surround). So, does anyone know why it's so soft? Is their not enough power? Any help would be appreciated!