Solved! Speakers

Jul 14, 2020
Hello, needing some help, I have 2 4ohms dvc and 2 4 0hms svc how can I connect all to get 4ohms or 2ohm or 1 ohm load. Please help....newby

Solution
Ohm's Law and series/ parallel wiring. So your amp can handle a 1 ohm load? That's pretty close to a short circuit and the amp must have some 'balls'! I assume this is a car audio application. You didn't mention if you want to drive 2 channels or one. This really isn't advisable for several reasons. One is you can't get both sets of woofers to operate at the same impedance. The lower impedance rig will draw the most power (current) from the amp and play louder. BUT for all woofers to present the load you want, to a single (bridged?) amp: Take the matching DVC woofers ( 2-DVC 4 ohms-per-coil). You can wire the coils in parallel for 2 ohms per woofer, then the 2 in parallel for 1 ohm for the pair. Then take the other matching 4...

Sonic Illusions

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
Ohm's Law and series/ parallel wiring. So your amp can handle a 1 ohm load? That's pretty close to a short circuit and the amp must have some 'balls'! I assume this is a car audio application. You didn't mention if you want to drive 2 channels or one. This really isn't advisable for several reasons. One is you can't get both sets of woofers to operate at the same impedance. The lower impedance rig will draw the most power (current) from the amp and play louder. BUT for all woofers to present the load you want, to a single (bridged?) amp: Take the matching DVC woofers ( 2-DVC 4 ohms-per-coil). You can wire the coils in parallel for 2 ohms per woofer, then the 2 in parallel for 1 ohm for the pair. Then take the other matching 4 ohm single coil woofers and connect them in parallel for 2 ohms. Operating on one channel, connect them in series for 3 ohms. There are other possible configurations, but your amp will be happier with 3 ohms.

Solution

Sonic Illusions

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
Amp is a Gothic 4500 1. 2, 4 ohms capable mono block, thanks for your response you make things much clearer. I've been at this for 2 weeks trying to figure out. U made my night.
No problem. Sweet amp! I also have a Power Acoustik amp...the 1400W continuous version, loaded at 2 ohms and it barely gets warm. My shirt flutters and I can't focus my eyes 4 feet away from my car. No way to tolerate that kind of SPL in the car (vomit)...even with ear plugs! At 3 ohms, your amp will deliver 1900-2000W continuous, which is pretty great.

If you connect the woofers as above for 3 ohms, the amp will run nice and cool, but if your woofers can handle it's brute power, a parallel connection will load it at about 1.5 ohms, extracting the full-power capabilities of the amp. Be careful if you do this. Woofers can have a lower DC resistance (DCR) than their rated impedance. Check the specs on your woofers. At 2000W, they should handle at least handle 500W each, but remember, the set of DVC woofers, or the set with lower impedance, will be drawing the most power.

Here's a good vid, FYI:

https://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/gt1-4500d.html

Last edited: