Special Glasses Forces Gamers to Blink

Status
Not open for further replies.

maigo

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I was hoping it was something better than 'blink or we won't let you see', something like a little led in your peripheral vision that triggered a blink reflex

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
It is pretty sad when you are SOOO focused you forget to blink. I put some serious game time in and have had eye strain but i just couldnt imagine wearing these glases.

I bet Masunaga is already working on the defibrillator vest...

Sry but these clases are dumb.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
$150....you could get a strobe light and mod it to blink only every 5 seconds, that ought to make you blink. Or a mechanical arm that swings 1" from your eye? Just as easy, if not cheaper XD I don't see the point....

G

"Sry but these clases are dumb."

Brilliant statements on the interwebs. People get extremely focused, I work in computer programming and the eye strain can be very irritating if you continuously stare at the screen for too long. It isn't that you "forget" to blink, but rather you are starting to become accustomed to what you are looking at, and since most areas where you are near computers are going to be well air-conditioned and decent levels of humidity, your eyes are bothered less frequently than when you are up and walking, your eyes don't receive any stimulus to warrant your body registering a blink. I think the fog is a rather stupid way of going about this, but a LED light could lead to more retina damage and lead to lawsuits, and so could a blast of air into your eye. This isn't the most effective way of doing things, but it gets the job done.

As for who will be wearing these, I'm sure they'll become required in many computer-intensive employers. Simple $150 investment can reduce the amount of insurance employers need to pay out for prescription glasses, and will undoubtedly increase productivity since your eyes will not become as strained working for extended periods of time on computers.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I want to point out 2 excellent posts above me, requiemschism09 and ethanolson.

I'd use these at work since I am on a daily basis sitting infront of a monitor for 8-9 hours of work and then 3-4 hours at night gaming and working on personal projects. All assuming the fog was instant on/off.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]ckthecerealkiller[/nom]Why not just pay someone $20 to poke you in the eye if you don't blink enough. Much cheaper.[/citation]
You gonna pay someone to watch and make sure those guys wash their hands after they go to the bathroom too?

buzznut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
No way! This is a supremely stupid idea. If this is "for gamers", its never gonna sell. Would you buy these glasses or a new video card?

New games cost $60 a pop. Unless you make it cheaper than that, we're not buyin em.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
Unless they fall below the $40 mark, I can't imagine anyone (with a normal sized wallet) even considering them. Why spend that much on glasses when you could spend it on something you'll actually enjoy, like a new game.

That said, I really don't understand the eye-strain phenomenon to begin with. I'm a heavy-duty gamer and have spent hundreds, likely thousands of hours on video games. As far as gaming "intensity" goes, I'm a General on Halo and maintain better than a 3.0 kill/death ratio on Far Cry 2. Lack of life aside, I rarely "forget" to blink. The only time I suffer from eye strain is after an all nighter during which I haven't been drinking enough water.

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
less of a however, and more of an AND, because its a little ridiculous to think that someone would have their specs plugged in and charging while playing a game... besides the fact that this is a lil on the ridiculous side...

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Man, some of the comments on here are just plain stupid. I can't wait for my comment to become -95,000 because of some arrogant little sh!t who doesn't like hearing the truth. The glasses were developed for people who have EYE STRAAAAIN. They WANT something to help them so they dont GEEET EYE STRAAAAIN. Is this hard to understand? The fogging WILL make you BLINK! It won't HURT or be annoying because if you BLINK enough it wont happen! Jeesh!

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
You don't "forget" to blink. Forget would imply you think about blinking.. Most people don't sit there and say I think i'm gonna blink now.. And it's far from a hardcore gamer/nerd..etc.. A lot of people that work at offices can just as easily have this problem.

It's simply a matter of training your eyes.. In which you case it's not that you got to remember to blink, it's that you need to think about blinking as it's not really that natural of a thing to think about. And knowning decent ways to relax your eyes like looking at something 15ft or so away, and letting your eyes adjust.. Till blinking becomes a natural thing while sitting in front of a monitor.

drealar

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
LoL you guys, what ever you say it will sell in Japan. That's for sure and probably they're not even thinking of making this available state side. Anyway on Engadget, they write it from a different approach. They say the blinking is to force you to stay awake, or becomes a good cover if you ever decide to doze off for a bit.. hahaha

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Screw gaming, I spend 8 hours a day infront of a computer screen at work, I think companies would find more use for devices such as this than gamers. Reduce eyestrain for the employees.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Poor solution to the issue (in my personal opinion), but we need a solution regardless.

Nothing like hardcore gaming and forgetting to blink for satan knows how long... When you do finally go to blink, it's physically difficult...

Status
Not open for further replies.