Spilled medium amouth of beer on laptop

bigje99

Estimable
Dec 1, 2014
I will described as best as possible.

Asus ROG i7, 2014.

Spilled okay amount on it .. Like 10cm2 (4inches2), maybe one quarter of the keyboard received beer.

I cleaned it with scottowels right away but i was drunk so didnt think right away to shut it down. Took me maybe 30-40 seconds do it.

Everything was working perfectly during those 30 seconds and while shutting down. I then unplugged everything linked to it and removed the battery. Made Sure it was dry (on the outside). Its upside down now.

What do you recommend ? Im travelling right now but my job is on it so i am working so i need it and its a very good laptop so i love it. If i need to wait 72 hours i will even tho i badlyy want to avoid that.

I have nothing in the appartment i rented and i dont speak the langage of the country but if you tell me i really need to open the computer and do stuff, i will. Would be very appreciated if you could tell me what to do when i open it .. From what i remembered i can withdraw the hdd and the ssd. I read that i should use a dielectric contact cleaner but how and where ? If rather avoid that cause im not sure i could find this here but anyway thank you very much if you answer !!

R_1

Estimable
Herald
If it has a Hard disk drive I would pull it out, beer clogging the vent filter cannot be good. Rice in a sealed bag will help to absorb moisture but there is more to beer than moisture. In any case if it has a disk drive I would pull it and dry it on its own (rice and ziplock bag for a couple days) the laptop can be replaced easily but can the data?

bigje99

Estimable
Dec 1, 2014
Lets say i try powering it on in 2 hours (i wont but lets say). If it works, would u say theres a very strong chance it will work 'forever'? What about 12 or 24 hours? Its probably too late in the day to go buy screwdricer, rice, ziploc and other stuff, i hope tomorrow morning will do.

My girlfriend says she spills things 'all the time' on her laptops and she never has problems (no beer tho but great deal of coffee and water, many times) .. Since my laptop showed no signs of anything when i shut it down, would u say that there is a 20-40% chance that its already fine and that apart from future dried beer (that could do nothing?) , no problem will ever arise ? Or 100% chance that problems will show ?

Thank you very much for the answers btw very appreciated

R_1

Estimable
Herald
My magic 8-ball says ask again later. We really don't have the information to answer a question like that. Let it dry.
Is her laptop the exact same model as yours? if so then you can heed her advise, laptops are by no means approaching an assembly standard (ITX,ATX, etc) each model is built differently and has vastly differing durability.

If you were to try again in 2 hours and some moisture (having time to migrate) could short something. Let it dry.

rice is out, put it somewhere where it will be warm to increase evaporation. ( no not the oven) haha. and don't add power till your sure the thing is dry.

bigje99

Estimable
Dec 1, 2014

2015-41-1444352649-image.jpeg

This is the hdd and the ssd looks very dry. Last poster said to not put them
In rice ?? They'r dry anyway i think. Maybe someone knows if Asus ROG has a system so liquid dont go to motherboard etc or something..

Spilled on the right part of the laptop .. Like the last quarter

No my gf havent have this laptop, was just curious if there was a chance everything would
Be fine without doing nothing. Doesnt mean much cause i want to be careful and not powering it on too soon.

If i powered it like 12-15 hours after , with the information i gave, if it works perfectly .. Is it good to go?

R_1

Estimable
Herald

I would leave them out till the laptop is dry. my concern was the little vent hole on the hard drive getting wet and plugging the vent filter which is not good in any way for the drive. the only thing I would do if it is accessible is remove the battery from the motherboard. voltage and moisture don't mix that would be the last power source in the system.

bigje99

Estimable
Dec 1, 2014
Im guessing this is not the battery of the laptop. Nah i cant access motherboard tonight i would need a tiny screwdricer, the knife wouldnt do. Thank you very much for answering tho guys. Btw :
If i powered it on like 12-15 hours after , with the information i gave, if it works perfectly .. Is it good to go? Or could something happened in hours 16-48?

bigje99

Estimable
Dec 1, 2014
Dont think i'll be able to find tech shop where i am, im gonna open it at 11am tomorrow, which will be 38 hours after the incident. I still dont know how big a gamble this is but i have to work

bigje99

Estimable
Dec 1, 2014
hey man thx for checking back. just did it 10 minutes ago. everything is perfect.. even the num pad (where i spilled the beer) works great. there is a hdmi and a usb port to the right (near num pad) that normally id need to use, but im reticent to do so. alho i plugged an ethernet cable in the same area and it works fine