Spilled soup on Elitebook 840 G1

Kickinwing96

Estimable
Apr 13, 2015
Hello all,
A couple hours ago, I accidentally spilled some (not a lot) of soup on my 840. It was playing a YouTube video at the time, so it was on. It was spilled on the left side of the keyboard, near the fan and USB ports. I immediately took out the battery, and tipped the laptop upside down (to prevent it leaking any further). I then got my shop vac,it's pretty powerful, and vacuumed the USB ports. the fan location and in between the keys where it had spilled. I also took a slightly damp paper towel and wiped off any residue on the top. I put the battery back in to see if there was any initial damage and everything booted up fine and worked. So now I have the battery out again, put the laptop on it's left side and have the shop vac hovering slightly over the keyboard to get some airflow going. I just have a couple questions. Does anyone know if the 800 series laptops have a plastic membrane between the keyboard and the motherboard? I know many laptops do and it would make me feel a lot better knowing that mine does as well. Does anyone know of any tear-downs or dis-assemblies of the 800 series laptops that I could look at and do on my own to do a much deeper clean? Any suggestions/help are welcome.

Solution
There is a plastic sheet under the keyboard. It's easy to take out, remove the bottom plate, there are two screws you need to loosen, they both have a keyboard symbol. Then you will see the keyboard hole on the back where you can push through to pop the keyboard out from the shell. I'd just replace the keyboard, no telling what gunk is left there and no reason to risk a cheap part shorting out the whole laptop.
There is a plastic sheet under the keyboard. It's easy to take out, remove the bottom plate, there are two screws you need to loosen, they both have a keyboard symbol. Then you will see the keyboard hole on the back where you can push through to pop the keyboard out from the shell. I'd just replace the keyboard, no telling what gunk is left there and no reason to risk a cheap part shorting out the whole laptop.

Solution