Solved! Spilled water on laptop, a few keys corrupted

Jul 10, 2019
After a small spill, nothing happened at first. I started using the computer the next day and there are 6 pairs of keys that type the same characters. The 9 in the row of numbers and the hyphen in the keypad both type -9. L and asterisk in the keypad both type *l. o and 7 in the keypad type 7o. You get the point. I have already tried uninstalling the keyboard drivers and restarting the laptop. That didn't do anything. Is the issue just that the keyboard needs to dry out? Everything else is functioning properly. It is an Acer Aspire VX if that helps any.

Solution
Using it without clearing it out is risking frying the laptop.

You need to open up the laptop and sit it somewhere to dry, for a while. Depending on the amount of the spill from a day to multiple days. Yes I said days.

Once it is all dry, if it was anything other than straight clear water, you need to go in and remove any residue left by the liquid. Carefully. Once you have removed it all, then again leave it to dry for a day or more if there was a lot.

Once everything is all dry and clean, then try using the laptop again. If you still have key problems, then I would go back in and make sure you didn't leave any residue or moisture in the keyboard. If there is none, and it still won't work, then try connecting an external keyboard...
Using it without clearing it out is risking frying the laptop.

You need to open up the laptop and sit it somewhere to dry, for a while. Depending on the amount of the spill from a day to multiple days. Yes I said days.

Once it is all dry, if it was anything other than straight clear water, you need to go in and remove any residue left by the liquid. Carefully. Once you have removed it all, then again leave it to dry for a day or more if there was a lot.

Once everything is all dry and clean, then try using the laptop again. If you still have key problems, then I would go back in and make sure you didn't leave any residue or moisture in the keyboard. If there is none, and it still won't work, then try connecting an external keyboard and see if it works fine. If so, then your attached keyboard may well be damaged and need replacing. However, if the external keyboard also has problems, then you may have damaged the motherboard.

Solution