Spore Sells One Million Copies Amidst DRM Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

90% of copies are probably on the Mac since they have nothing else besides Warcraft III and WoW to play >:)

G

Most people have the whole idea of SecuRom and the x amount of activations all wrong.
It's not just a simple DRM, it installs separately to the game without your knowledge...if you un-install the game...it DOESN'T un-install the SecuRom, which makes it a rootkit (malware), so if you don't know this, you will think it's gone because it hides in "hidden folders" and in your "Registry", not to mention disabling of some AV's ,the damage it does to some PC hardware, and stops you from being able to use legal software that SecuRom has been programmed to black band. EA deserves to be sued over this issue alone.
The other issue I have with this type of Draconian DRM is that when you can't afford the internet anymore, you can no longer Play a Game you Paid for, and that is wrong...most games aren't played over the Net so why do we have to be connected to it. ( It's to Spy on PC users, that's why it Phones Home with Encrypted Data.)
There is a lot bigger picture than what we're seeing here right now, this is only a baby step to the end plan. This has nothing to do with piracy, because we know that the pirates will never be stopped and it is proven once again with the amount of torrented copies of Spore downloaded so far in less than a month. Why is EA adamant about continuing to use SecuRom when they know it’s not doing what they say it was intended for and is only effecting the paying customers. I will not buy anything that is put out by EA or Sony anymore, even though I would love to buy Sims2 IKEA, Sims2 Apartment Life, Spore and Red Alert 3, but I just don't trust EA or Sony. All they have done for the last 18 months is lie through their teeth to save their neck and not a bit of concern for their paying customers.
I'm a member at Reclaim Your Game: http://www.reclaimyourgame.com/ and we’re dedicated to helping other gamers with their issues with SecuRom and get info out to educate to public. We also have a SecuRom Removal Instruction Walkthrough Tutorial on the site for people to use and we’re in the process of updating it.
So please feel free to visit our site and see for yourself.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
This game was suppose to be at the scale of Grand Theft Auto IV in sales from the casual gaming community. The fact it only sold 1 million copies means its a failure to its potential. I know I am not the only one to refuse to purchase this game on the grounds of the DRM. There are atleast 500k others that agree.

mr roboto

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
So selling a combination of one million PC, Mac and Nintendo DS versions is a success? Really? OK so the PC and Mac versions are very similar but the DS version is technically a totally different title. So one million copies sold between 2 games is a considered a success from a game that took 6-7 years and had something like a 50-60 million dollar budget? OK guys, whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.