Spotify U.S. Subscriber Base Not Growing As Expected

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
most new music is crap, thats one point.
most sreaming services are low quality, thats another point.
songs cost 1$ about and most albumes are only good for 1-3 songs

if you had a music collection prior to itunes and streaming stuff like this, and are even remotely competent, you can rip your songs (illegal by riaa) and you have your back catalouge of music that is awesome, and to add new music to it is only really 1$ a song, far less than you are use to paying.

so yea, this will pick up steam with kids, teens, and moronic adults... but i cant see it picking up steam with anyone else.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Sadly its not that hard to imagine, the US internet is in major parts slow and then add the fact that a big portion have a limit in their "unlimited" subsription dont help either when it comes to streaming media.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]Sadly its not that hard to imagine, the US internet is in major parts slow and then add the fact that a big portion have a limit in their "unlimited" subsription dont help either when it comes to streaming media.[/citation]

ok, ill bite.

dragonforce, black winter night,
i bring it up because i have it in 320kbps mp3

6:30 minute song
15mb
38kb a second.

a 1mbit line is enough to stream that music, hell even a 500kbit line can do it... hell i could even stream that with my gimped upload speed if i wanted to. hell if it could buffer a bit you could even stream that to dialup with little problem.

here are some other songs, their formats, and kbps.

dragon force, through fire and flame
192kbps mp3
7:24 minutes
10.1mb
22kb per second

Prendés i garde
673kbps wma
1:46
8.28mb
78kbps

Blind Guardian - Sacred Worlds [Pre-Production Version]
flac
6:49
53mb
132kbps

to stream cd quality flac 24 hours for a full month, that takes 342gb
to stream wma at 673kbps a full month takes about 202gb
to stream high bit rate mp3 a full month takes 98gb
and decent bit rate mp3 takes 57gb

now that's 24 hours a day, considering most people work lets say 8 hours a day, and sleep 8 hours a day, really that leaves 8 hours of music. so times every number up there by 1/3 and even the worst internet providers don't have caps that low, unless you are tethering a cellphone or using 4g as an internet... in which case you would be stupid to do anything but read text chats with that kind of line.

mortenv

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Spotify might die out in the US(it's hard to make sense of americans) but here at it's roots in Scandinavia it's thriving and people are paying for it as well to enjoy the benefits that entails. It works great and the sync to my phone works in a logical way. Having such a large amount of music at your fingertips is awesome: If you want everything to be free, move to China.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]ok, ill bite.dragonforce, black winter night, i bring it up because i have it in 320kbps mp36:30 minute song15mb38kb a second. a 1mbit line is enough to stream that music, hell even a 500kbit line can do it... hell i could even stream that with my gimped upload speed if i wanted to. hell if it could buffer a bit you could even stream that to dialup with little problem.here are some other songs, their formats, and kbps. dragon force, through fire and flame192kbps mp37:24 minutes10.1mb22kb per secondPrendés i garde673kbps wma1:468.28mb78kbpsBlind Guardian - Sacred Worlds [Pre-Production Version]flac6:4953mb132kbpsto stream cd quality flac 24 hours for a full month, that takes 342gbto stream wma at 673kbps a full month takes about 202gbto stream high bit rate mp3 a full month takes 98gband decent bit rate mp3 takes 57gbnow that's 24 hours a day, considering most people work lets say 8 hours a day, and sleep 8 hours a day, really that leaves 8 hours of music. so times every number up there by 1/3 and even the worst internet providers don't have caps that low, unless you are tethering a cellphone or using 4g as an internet... in which case you would be stupid to do anything but read text chats with that kind of line.[/citation]

You do know that 65% of the US still used dial up as primary Internet access as late as 2010? That leaves a customer base thats quite diminished compared to what it could have been if the Internet were evolved. I use Spotify premium with the phone to stream and i could stream 24/7 at max bit rate since the unlimited access is that - unlimited, not a hollowed out marketing word that sounds good.. For the home Internet i have a 100mbps (yes, both up and downstream) and its standard in the whole city so i think bandwidth concerns are way more likely hampering Spotify in US than the bandwidth friendly world - Especially onm the phoones where the unlimited data planes are a joke!

Hapcorrolr

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
[citation][nom]aoneone[/nom]why would anyone even bother? mp3s have been free since 1997. it just boggles the mind why these poor saps would cough up moolah.[/citation]

Yes, exactly. It just boggles the mind as to why anyone wouldn't want to support the artists who actually create the music, providing us hours of enjoyment. I mean really, why shouldn't we all just work without being paid? Wouldn't that just make life so much simpler for everyone?
I find it hard to believe that anyone with half an ounce of artistic talent would think that it's ok to pirate music. Oh that's right, because popular bands like Metallica and the Red Hot Chili Peppers are already rich, and all those new bands are just cheap wannabe knock-offs who are trying to make a quick buck off us poor saps. /sarcasm

Delengowski

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
Bands make more off of touring and shows than they do on actual media, most of it goes to the record label.

Also Idono you cannot make a spotify without facebook

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]You do know that 65% of the US still used dial up as primary Internet access as late as 2010? That leaves a customer base thats quite diminished compared to what it could have been if the Internet were evolved. I use Spotify premium with the phone to stream and i could stream 24/7 at max bit rate since the unlimited access is that - unlimited, not a hollowed out marketing word that sounds good.. For the home Internet i have a 100mbps (yes, both up and downstream) and its standard in the whole city so i think bandwidth concerns are way more likely hampering Spotify in US than the bandwidth friendly world - Especially onm the phoones where the unlimited data planes are a joke![/citation]

i have to imagine that anyone who wants faster internet has it at this point, if you can get by with dialup you were never going to stream music anyway.

satellite isn't the best option, but its available to almost everyone, and i believe is around 1mbit... but that was 7 years ago i believe that number comes from.

Status
Not open for further replies.