SppExtComObjHook.dll keeps coming back everytime I restart my computer

lzeng95

Estimable
Sep 23, 2015
Untitled.png

Anyone know how to get rid of this permanently? Everytime I restart my computer AVG detects this virus and I click protect me, but it doesn't show up till I restart my computer again.

Solution
Others have done the same thing, saw this on the AVG forum. I just put a word file in it's place, created a file with a bit of text in it, saved it in the c:\\Windows\Temp file location then renamed it SppExtComObjHook.dll . Apparently AVG ignores it and whatever Microsoft has it's software doing it won't recreate it once it is resident in that temp file. So the innocuous word file\dll once renamed has fixed the issue for me.
https://support.avg.com/answers?id=906b0000000LTCyAAO
could be a false positive with new windows updates dropping. make sure your running clean ms software. look for any other 3 party software that can be a redropper of the trojan. run hitman pro see if it finds any 3 party bad software.
if it a new windows file that is needed windows will put the file back unless you turn off system restore and then boot into safe mode and clear out all your temp files with cclean and then run anti virus.

NOT_PROVIDED_787

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

gr0mit

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016
So I haven't "Correctly" fixed it....but I have gotten rid of the constant recreation and AV alerts.

I live booted into KALI, once the HDD was mounted, I went in to the Windows/Temp folder and deleted the .dll, then opened a terminal, cd to the windows/temp dir and created the same exact dll with nothing in it. >> touch SppExtComObjHook.dll.

While this doesn't exactly fix the issue, it should eliminate the threat, if there is one, stop the AV from alerting you every time, and will stop Windows from recreating the actual file every time you restart your computer.

While I was booted into KALI, I did some digging around in the dll and found that it is indeed a product of Microsoft...So they better get to fixn

If anyone else would like to do this, just go to https://www.kali.org/downloads/ and download the ISO, use win32diskimager to put the iso on a thumbdrive or just burn it to a cd. choose the live option when you boot to the newly created media. Kali is pretty user friendly these days so you should be able to navigate around the file system fairly easy. Go into the harddrive that you have windows installed and go to the windows/temp folder. Delete the SppExtComObjHook.dll. open a terminal, use "cd" to change directory to "location of temp folder" and type touch SppExtComObjHook.dll exactly as it was previously and then restart back into windows.

The file should now be 0kb and never bother you again. If you think that it is starting to mess us your computer by not having it, just delete it and restart.

NOT_PROVIDED_787

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

NOT_PROVIDED_787

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016
Others have done the same thing, saw this on the AVG forum. I just put a word file in it's place, created a file with a bit of text in it, saved it in the c:\\Windows\Temp file location then renamed it SppExtComObjHook.dll . Apparently AVG ignores it and whatever Microsoft has it's software doing it won't recreate it once it is resident in that temp file. So the innocuous word file\dll once renamed has fixed the issue for me.

Solution