SpyHunter 4 effective vs. Powelik? Dug up an answer!

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
My father has brought his seemingly infected PC on a brief visit, so time is short. Yes, it is infected. Norton finds nothing; I installed MalwareBytes, which found nothing, although it blocks incessant outbound attempts to get to searchnet.blinkxcore.com/ 65.45.56.109 (and a few others). Powelik is sometimes cited as well.
A search online found a lengthy removal process for searchnet, which seems irrelevant as none of the listed registry keys and/or program directories are present.
One link took me to a process using software called SpyHunter4. It found 171 entries of various sorts, including Powelik, but won't remove anything unless we pay $40 for it. Is this worthwhile? The alternative appears to be a wipe and reload, which would be nice to avoid.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Norton couldn't kill it, even using the Power Eraser tool; Norton didn't even find it. MalwareBytes could block outbound malicious web site access, but not find the infection.

mdd1963

Distinguished
Norton had a specific "powelik" fixer download, separate from the Power Erasor...; as to if it will be incorporated into the latter, that would have made sense to me as well...