SpyHunter 4 effective vs. Powelik? Dug up an answer!

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
My father has brought his seemingly infected PC on a brief visit, so time is short. Yes, it is infected. Norton finds nothing; I installed MalwareBytes, which found nothing, although it blocks incessant outbound attempts to get to searchnet.blinkxcore.com/ 65.45.56.109 (and a few others). Powelik is sometimes cited as well.
A search online found a lengthy removal process for searchnet, which seems irrelevant as none of the listed registry keys and/or program directories are present.
One link took me to a process using software called SpyHunter4. It found 171 entries of various sorts, including Powelik, but won't remove anything unless we pay $40 for it. Is this worthwhile? The alternative appears to be a wipe and reload, which would be nice to avoid.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Roguekiller seems to have done it! It took multiple passes, but it seems to be clean. Dad is using it now, so I'm monitoring it...

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Norton couldn't kill it, even using the Power Eraser tool; Norton didn't even find it. MalwareBytes could block outbound malicious web site access, but not find the infection.

mdd1963

Distinguished
Norton had a specific "powelik" fixer download, separate from the Power Erasor...; as to if it will be incorporated into the latter, that would have made sense to me as well...

ASK THE COMMUNITY