Question Spyware/Stalkerware

Aug 2, 2024
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if someone could please help me regarding information about spy/stalkerware. There have been indications that there is some kind of spy/stalkerware on my phone (Android) and I've been considering how to resolve this issue. It's been suggested that I can do a factory reset, but I'm concerned about the possibility of losing some files in the process. I think my preference would be to transfer my SIM to a dfferent phone, but does anyone know whether this would risk transferring the malware as well?

Thank you.

Aug 2, 2024
Let's start with what makes you think you have this problem.
Thanks for getting back to me COLGeek and apologies I've been slow to respond and at the length of this post - just trying to answer your question.

Starting a number of months back I started noticing my phone was running really hot at times, the screen would sort of blink intermittently and take me to the desktop from chrome. This started happening after I used to use the wifi at a particular organization and then started hearing suggestions from other patrons that there was a hacker, possibly a member of staff.

I also recall thinking it's as if the walls have ears here and someone else there once used the same expression prior to me even sharing my concerns. Since then, individuals from this organization have been texting me and I started noticing the timing coincided with me saying certain things to the point now there's no doubt in my mind that there must be some listening app on my phone, none whatsoever. I stopped responding to them, but it's creeped me out because I get the impression they suspect that I know and they could get into trouble if their illegal surveillance becomes publicly known.

Aug 2, 2024
Assuming you have backed up your phone, sounds like a factory reset is in order.

Thank you for your suggestion. I do have my phone backup on, I'll just have to go through and make sure it includes all the relevant files - it's been a while since I set it up.