Square: Accept Credit Card Payments on Phone

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I really think it should be easy to track the transactions that happen since they are attached to a phone account, and the account for the service is also attached to some personal info, yes it could be faked or spoofed, but why go to that much effort when you can just use a pocket swipe unit to get what you need quicker?

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Though I can see business sense in this... I have to say...

Credit Card Fraud is going to get even worse.

Now anyone can steal your wallet/purse and start charging your credit cards without even going into a store. I'm sure there will be apps made to allow you to charge directly into your account. Sure that means there's a digital paper trail, and accounts involved to identify people. But I'm sure a few smart folks will figure out ways to mask their identity and randomize it.

As a consumer, I don't think I'd trust giving my credit card to someone to enter into their cell phone frankly.

derstarke

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Are they really going to let "anyone with a phone" use this? I checked the website, but it seemed to be lacking in, well, information. Unless of course you want to submit your e-mail. Point is, until I know exactly how easy or difficult it is to sign up for one of these things, then it's hard to comment on how safe/dangerous this capability actually is to consumers, no? I'm assuming some dude isn't gonna walk up to you on the street, ask if you want a dime bag, and then have you whip out a credit card. I'm more inclined to think they will require a bit of verifiable background information first. Otherwise the company would have too many liabilities. But who knows? And that's the point. More info please!

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]accidental[/nom]Completely useless. I can't see how this can replace the swipe and sign pads in most major outlets and the swipe, print and sign in other outlets. This is poorly invested money going down the drain.[/citation]

I run my own business fixing computers. I go directly to the site and hope they have enough cash on hand to pay me when I'm done. This would be perfect for accepting payments on the road. I would buy this and I think many many people in my situation would buy it as well. Anyone who goes to the customer's site could accept payments right there.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]Reminds of the credsticks in Shadowrun. Soon, paper money will be a thing of the past.[/citation]

+1 For an awesome pen and paper RPG reference, great Super Nintendo and Genesis RPG, and fun books to read as a kid!

G

Interestingly enough, I actually looked over the site and one of the things they have (or will have) available is photo verification of the credit card holder. The person accepting the card can pull up a photo id of the cardholder and verify that he/she is the person presenting the card. That would really cut down on credit card fraud.

Status
Not open for further replies.