Square Enix Makes Final Fantasy 7 PC Re-release Official

Status
Not open for further replies.

outlw6669

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Although a remake would be nice (assuming they do not change anything in the story or character interactions), I am quite happy with an updated release.

This year in gaming is starting to look pretty good!
MechWarrior reboot, re-release of FF7; all that is needed now is a Tie Fighter reboot :)

guanyu210379

Distinguished
A complete remake would be nice (new graphics and stuffs)...but..re-release is stupid!
I ain't paying one single cent for more than 10 years old graphic quality.

I got myself FF3 on my SGS3...that one is nice..complete upgrade FF3 graphic..

cumi2k4

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
1. Didn't some fans already have some mod for the original ff7 to enhance the graphic?
2. I really really hope that the game industry won't follow the movie industry by re-release/re-mix/re-update old stuffs....but apparently COD series and now this....

choji7

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Shame its just a re release. Updating the graphics, even just a little, would really mean something. Even if it is only $10, I feel $10 is too much for a re release of an game. I guess it just depends on how much new content they add to this version.

Leopardos

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Who the hell is thumping down every post? it people's opinion, if you dont like it, dont thump down or even up !

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
[citation][nom]Leopardos[/nom]Who the hell is thumping down every post? it people's opinion, if you dont like it, dont thump down or even up ![/citation]
Little Windows/Xbox loving trolls who live in their mom's basements

Memnarchon

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
[citation][nom]demarest[/nom]I remember a site called qhimm where this was part of the aim. As I recall, I played a version that was revamped to 1280x1024.A re-release would be great if it was done with updated graphics to support 1920x1080. TBH though, that and support for more modern OSes is about all we could hope for in a re-release. As much as I adored the game and have in fact replayed in many times, the bottom line is that the game was too easy. So I personally would call for a retuning of the difficulty or at least to offer different difficulty levels with the original version being labeled as the easiest.[/citation]

Hmmm, since I see this is going too popular as FFVII remake announced, qhimm site has a lot of mods but the best that makes use of all mods and makes the FFVII playable even at 1920x1080!!! is the bootleg from pitbrat. Its very good, I would recommanded to any FF fan but the only downside is that the mods that make the game HD are more than 20GB :p that needs to be downloaded.
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12008.0

G

If they would just remake this game, square would make tons of money. A lot of people would buy a PS3 or PS4 just to get a remake of this. A re-release doesn't make sense.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
After what they did to the script for Chrono Trigger DS the most merciful thing they can do is give a straight rerelease. The current teams over at Square are best not touching the hits from back when they knew what they were doing. Graphics update? Sure, if they want. They already have a history of rereleases though and their typical strategy is to put in some bonus features like a music/art gallery and otherwise call it a day. This is actually not bad considering they usually charge full price for their rereleases. A graphics update would definitely cost a full game price and not 10$. For the price...eh it's worth it I guess, if you want to be legit. Probably at least some smoothing effects to be put on the models and backgrounds so it will still look better. Or you could just use an emulator to smooth over the original for free.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
I wonder if the rerelease will do something akin to the "mod" that they've had overmatmthe Qhimm forums for a while that gets rid of the aliasing and makes the textures look a lot better, compared to the original PSX release. Even with the original assets (I don't like the fan-made graphic patches that replace the original assets), it looks surprisingly good when you consider it was one of the first games of the PSX generation.

If it doesn't even do that, I can't see buying it again when I've already got a better looking version.

teodoreh

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
Some things are better stay untouched - If only George Lucas could leave Star Wars rest in peace too instead of re-releasing a new version every second week....

The magic will stay forever, we don't need fancy graphics, we love the squared characters... ;D

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]chronicbint[/nom]Great at the time but wouldn't want to replay it. Its really poor these days.[/citation]
These old games aren't really about the graphics, it's about the story and the gameplay. I am replaying Terranigma now, it is an old game but it is still an awesome one and I have fun playing it old graphics and all. I also regularly play many old NES, SNES, SEGA games for the same reason, they are just fun to play.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]I tot was on PC long ago? why again?[/citation]

Because the old version wouldn't work on any Windows version that wasn't Windows 9x based (although unofficial patches would allow it to work with Windows 2000 and XP in some cases). I own the original PC release and even getting it to run on hardware released at the time was tedious depending on what drivers you used. I had to use software rendering at 320x200 resolution just to get it to work on my old Windows 98 PC, though with the XP patch I could finally run it better but it crashed at the snowboarding part.

I find it hilarious that the minimum requirements have jumped so far with this version, but it makes since so they could make it work with newer hardware (I guess??). I remember the minimum requirements for old version were 133MHz (166MHz w/ software acceleration) Pentium CPU, 16MB RAM, and 4MB Video memory. It used DirectX 5 and even used and included DirectShow.

Status
Not open for further replies.