SSD and RAM upgrade of brand new laptop

Mikeael89

Prominent
Jul 28, 2017
Hi -- I'm a newbie here. I'm looking to buy the Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575-33BM laptop. These are the specs:

Intel Core i3-7100U Processor 7th Generation
4GB DDR4
1TB 5400RPM Hard Drive

It turns out that this laptop has an extra slot for an m.2 SSD. I'll be buying a 250GB SSD to install, so I'll have the SSD and a hard drive in the laptop. I'll also be buying an extra 4GB of RAM. I'd like to know:

Should I install the RAM before I turn on the computer or after?

Should I install the SSD before I turn on the computer or after?

I've read that once the SSD is installed, I would need to clone the Windows 10 OS that's on the hard drive to the SSD. I plan to use EaseUS Todo Backup to do this. Seeing as this will be a new computer, will this be a fairly straightforward process? For example, would I need a Windows system repair disk or anything like that?

I appreciate any and all guidance. Thanks in advance.

Mike

P.S. here's a link to the laptop: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-E5-575-33BM-15-6-Inch-Processor-Generation/dp/B01K1IO3QW/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

Solution
You absolutely need to get it up and running, in the original config, before you change the drives.
This activates and registers the OS license.
After, you can swap drives and do a clean install on the new SSD.

Be sure to download any drivers you will need. Touchpad, maybe the GPU, etc, etc.
Save those on a USB stick for install after you do the clean install on the new SSD.

And only change one part at a time.
SSD, then RAM. Don't do all that at once.

Also...the manufacturer may have a Factory Reset function. This would allow you to create a DVD or USB factory reset option.
Do this, and stash that away. Just in case.
Look in the user manual for how to invoke this.

PC Tailor

Prominent
Jun 29, 2017
If I've read that correctly... NEVER put in components whilst the laptop is on.

Personally if it were me, I would clean install windows 10 onto the SSD, it's a smoother, cleaner, and can be a less error prone process. But EaseUS offers good tools to clone over.

Also make sure that your RAM is able to perform alongside your current RAM (ideally you'd want the same model RAM). Or if you mix models, run it in dual channel (if you have dual channel).

Mikeael89

Prominent
Jul 28, 2017

Thanks, PC Tailor... Much appreciate your response. I should've clarified what I meant by "before I turn on the computer or after." By after, I mean I would turn on the laptop, let it boot up, and then shut it down to add the SSD and RAM. So the question is: Should I install the SSD and RAM before I turn on the laptop for the first time? Or do I need to boot up and shut down before I perform the install?

Forgive my ignorance, but how do I clean install Windows 10? Can I download it from Microsoft's site?

Thanks
Mike

PC Tailor

Prominent
Jun 29, 2017
Don't worry, there is nothing to forgive!

Ah my apologies! I misunderstood. I would suspect that the laptop has already been preloaded with drivers and basic software, so I don't really think it would make a difference. Generally I would install it before turning on the laptop, but some may like to check that the laptop is actually fully functional before you fiddle with it in case it's defective upon arrival. If you go putting in your own gear and the laptop is defective upon arrival, they could end up blaming you for the defect.

To clean install, just go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10?tduid

Download the tool, run it, this will prompt you to install the Windows ISO onto a USB, then just boot into the USB on your laptop and install onto the SSD. You just want to skip the 'product key' step.

You can then afterwards clean the hard drive (assuming you've taken off any files etc you may want from it).

Edit: You may also want to synchronise the Windows 10 to your microsoft account first (simply logging in should do it), as then when you install the SSD, it will associate the Windows 10 activation to your microsoft account. Ensure you get everything functional on the SSD before wiping the HDD, just to be safe.

Mikeael89

Prominent
Jul 28, 2017

Thanks for the detailed guidance. You raised a good point about the possibility about me being blamed for a DOA laptop should I install before first boot. So I'll boot it up to make sure it works and then shut down and install the SSD and then clean install Windows.

A few related questions:

You said: "You can then afterwards clean the hard drive (assuming you've taken off any files etc you may want from it)." Since the laptop is new, I won't have saved any files on it. Are you referring to other files that would have come pre-installed that I might want to keep? And by "clean", you mean reformat the hard drive, right?

I've read about adjusting the BIOS to make the computer boot from the SSD after you've installed the SSD. Will that be necessary if I clean install? (Note, I have never messed with a computer's BIOS before.)

Also, you mentioned earlier to "make sure that your RAM is able to perform alongside your current RAM." To be safe, should I wait until I get the laptop to see which model RAM is inside before I order the additional 4GB? I'm thinking the 4GB that comes pre-installed should be okay for the fist week or so that I use the laptop, right?

Thanks!

USAFRet

Illustrious
You absolutely need to get it up and running, in the original config, before you change the drives.
This activates and registers the OS license.
After, you can swap drives and do a clean install on the new SSD.

Be sure to download any drivers you will need. Touchpad, maybe the GPU, etc, etc.
Save those on a USB stick for install after you do the clean install on the new SSD.

And only change one part at a time.
SSD, then RAM. Don't do all that at once.

Also...the manufacturer may have a Factory Reset function. This would allow you to create a DVD or USB factory reset option.
Do this, and stash that away. Just in case.
Look in the user manual for how to invoke this.

Solution

PC Tailor

Prominent
Jun 29, 2017
Actually yes, USAFRet raises a good point. Do each one, one at a time.

- And as I said previously, set up first, as it activates it to your microsoft account and ensures everything is configured before changing.
- If it's new, you can just format the hard drive and reinstall new programs on your SSD as necessary.
- You shouldn't need to change anything in the BIOS, you just need to get the SSD detected by the BIOS, then you can install Windows clean onto the SSD.
- And yes, I would find out what RAM you have first, so you can match the RAM accordingly
- additionally, some laptops come with integrated soldered RAM, so you may not be able to remove it.

Mikeael89

Prominent
Jul 28, 2017

Thanks for the guidance, USAFRet... Will do what you said. Just to clarify one of your points, I won't be swapping the HDD for the SSD. I'll be adding an SSD -- the laptop comes with an extra slot for an m.2 SSD. So I'll have an HDD and an SSD in the laptop.

Thanks!

Mikeael89

Prominent
Jul 28, 2017

Thanks again, PC Tailor. Just need clarification on one point:

"You shouldn't need to change anything in the BIOS, you just need to get the SSD detected by the BIOS, then you can install Windows clean onto the SSD."

So after I install the SSD and reboot, if I can see the SSD listed as a drive in Windows Explorer, that means it's being detected by the BIOS, right?

PC Tailor

Prominent
Jun 29, 2017

If it's in your Windows Explorer, that means its fully detected, Yes.

You may need to format it, but you can get to that later, if it is ever necessary.

InMesa

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2014

I have this laptop in my cart and was thinking if doing exactly the same thing. How did it go? Any tips?