SSD extremly on low end laptop

floppymcdisk

Prominent
Nov 3, 2017
I have a 2012 Toshiba Satellite C55D-A5381 with a bottom-of-the-bin AMD E1 1200 dual-core APU running at 1.4GHZ. I decided to make the performance more tolerable by adding replacing the 5400 RPM HDD with a Kingston SSDNow 200 V+ figuring it'd help pick up the pace as the machine uses a Sata III interface. However as I tested the SSD using a live Linux desktop iso, it seemed to be running just as slow as the HDD (or even slower at times). I then put the SSD in my Kabylake desktop and booted from the drive on there and it was very snappy (of course the processor comparison is night and day, but still). Is the processor on my laptop simply just beyond help or something? I've seen improvement with computers running a Pentium 4 and an older SATA interface or whatnot once an SSD was added so I'm quite puzzled at the moment. Any idea?

Solution
Yes an SSD even in a slow system should show some improvement. Why not simply compare how the system feels with it setup? You are running Linux off a disk, which will be slow. Install the OS on the SSD, configure the virtual RAM properly on it and you should be good.
Yes an SSD even in a slow system should show some improvement. Why not simply compare how the system feels with it setup? You are running Linux off a disk, which will be slow. Install the OS on the SSD, configure the virtual RAM properly on it and you should be good.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS