SSD for laptop - Gateway NV79

aoommen

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Hi All,

I have a Gateway NV79 laptop and my HDD recently crashed but I got it replaced for free through Best Buy extended warranty! I have a feeling they switched me from a 7200 RPM to a 5400 RPM drive - this Seagate is what I have now. Don't know what drive was in there before this, is there a way to find out!

The response time for everything to load seems a lot more after the new drive was installed! I found out that there is an extra slot, and I plan on using that for an SSD as a boot drive, should I be shopping for a SATA II or SATA III SSD for that? It is highly unlikely that this machine has a 6 Gb/s SATA connector but I'm just being wishful, does any one know for sure! Would not want to spend extra for a SATA 3 drive if I'm only going to get 3 Gb/s!

Tried asking that ACER support (they own Gateway now) guy and he was unable to help me as my laptop is out of warranty, which is a joke, but well I'm in a hurry for all that BS, so thought I'd ask here first!

Thanks in advance!

k1114

Distinguished
The hdd in it before was 5400rpm. Your laptop has hm55 chipset so you most likely have sata 2 but would still look at sata 3 ssds as the prices between them isn't much of a difference. All sata is backwards compatible. You'd probably want ~60gb for a boot drive and the crucial m4 would be my suggestion.

geofelt

Distinguished
A SSD in your laptop will absolutely transform it.
Do not worry about sata2 vs. 3. It only makes a difference in synthetic benchmarks at very high i/o rates and queue depths. Not what we do much of.

Any modern ssd will be a 50x performance over a hard drive in small random i/o, and that is what the os does mostly. 2-3x sequential will not be bad either.

From a reliability point of view, I would look for Intel, Samsung, or crucial, in that order.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
wow, Sammys are getting all the love all the sudden, but I agree with the order of 'good' SSDs to get. Do not be afraid of OCZ though. While not as stellar as the others mentioned they offer a great bang for the buck... just make sure it has the most recent firmware (most of them will) otherwise you are bound to have issues.
I am running a SATA3 SSD on my wife's SATA2 PC and have had no problems. And the sata 3 drives tend to be the same or lower price than the older drives due to manufacturing improvements. They also tend to be more mature/stable than the older drives as well, so really I would not even look at the older SATA2 drives at all.

60GB is plenty for Windows, Office, and a skad of other little programs that you need. Load large programs (like games) on the HDD, and store all of your music/media/documents/internet downloads to the HDD as well.