SSD new laptop?

davidjuk

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Hi All. First time I've ventured into this area of the forum.....

I am looking at replacing my laptop (HP compaq 4+ y.o.) with a new i3 or i5 ASUS.

Would someone know the best procedure to install an SSD from the get go. I've been thinking about cloning, using recovery dvds, ASUS AI recovery(?) and my head is in a spin. If it was a desktop, I'd just do it with the windows disk and drivers, but I'm clueless about laptops?

b.t.w. I'm looking at K or X series

http://ie.asus.com/Notebooks/Versatile_Performance/K72F/

Any help gratefully received.

phamhlam

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
The best way would to create a recovery disc using the program ASUS provides. You then install the new SSD into your computer and just slap in the recovery disc. You might even be better of just installing a clean copy of Windows and using the product key at the bottom of your computer.

funguseater

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Hi, the easiest way would be to use recovery disks(don't forget to make them), then you won't be wasting SSD space by cloning a hidden partition. I had to Format and update the SSD firmware before I could install mine, so find out first.

Have fun

PS I would go for the X series with a SandyBridge i3 (it has the Intel HD3000 GPU) it will be a better performer than the K series I would think.

davidjuk

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012

A clean copy of windows isn't going to happen unless I basically steal someone's disk :sweat: that's what I'd LIKE to do... :??:

My concern is the the inbuilt ASUS recovery might want to recover from a working windows environment, but you think starting the laptop and booting from the optical drive should do it? That would be good.

I wonder if I can make the disks AFTER removing some of the software (bloaty, bloat) that'll come on it?

phamhlam

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
The disc will most likely be factory default but you can check in the description. There are many places where you can also get a copys of Windows and burn it onto a disc.

davidjuk

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012

funguseater

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
On my Acer recovery and Toshiba recovery disks I am offered the option of intsalling with all the BLOAT or just drivers. Not sure about the ASUS but you can always uninstall the BLOAT after recovery.

And yes recovery will work from a fresh Disk.

BYE!

davidjuk

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012

Yes, I guess it's not too much work to remove programs after using a recovery disk.

funguseater

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

davidjuk

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012

Thanks to everyone. I'm getting confident.

Maybe I can try the whole procedure with my old HP notebook, I made recovery disks for that, so it's going to be more or less the same.
I'll go find them and pop in a fresh drive and see what happens.

Maybe best to mess with the old one before trying the new one... :)