SSD on an older laptop

AlphaBiker

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
I recently installed a 120GB SSD in my homebuilt desktop. I use the SSD as my program and boot drive. It's a sata 3GB disk. Since my ASUS MB supports sata 6GB I decided to get sata 6GB SSD for my desktop and install the sata 3 drive in my about 5 year old laptop. My laptop is a Compaq Presario V2410US. It has 1.60GHz AMD Turion 64 ML-30 CPU, 1MB L2 cache, 2GB of ram and is running Windows 7 32bit with no problem. When I installed the SSD in my desktop the instructions say to changed the hard drive mode to AHCI. My desktop was already set to AHCI so that wasn't an issue. The problem is that there is no way to select AHCI in the Bios of my laptop. The laptop bios is very limited in what you can change. I do not know if the drive on the laptop is set to IDE or AHCI. My laptop is running Windows 7 fine so that's not an issue. Does anyone know if I would have a problem with the SSD if the laptop is set to IDE mode or does it really matter? Thanks.

xx_pemdas_xx

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
I think your a little confused. IDE is a adapter, like sata but older tech.

You will not be able to use your Sata drive with IDE because IDE is completely different technology.

It is possible to use an adapter so that a IDE drive connects to a sata port, but when connecting sata to IDE there is a series bottleneck, making using a SSD on an IDE port useless.

It is also doubtful if there is enough room inside your laptop for a Sata to IDE adapter.