SSD or not ??

loxpooig93

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016
hi! I've just sign in in this website and I've a doubt regard what notebook i'm goin to buy:
It's better to buy one with the Intel Core i7-6700HQ 8gb ram 1TB hdd or another with intel Core i7-6500U 12gb ram 1Tb hdd+128gb ssd ?

for example between this two:
1)https://www.amazon.it/Acer-V5-591G-73M6-Processore-i7-6700HQ-Retroilluminata/dp/B01E5A4M5Y/ref=sr_1_18?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1471465484&sr=1-18&keywords=acer+aspire
2)http://www.redcoon.it/B670882-Asus-K501UX-DM086T_Portatili?refId=trovaprezziit&utm_source=Trovaprezzi&utm_medium=Price-Comparison&utm_campaign=cpc&xtor=CS1-64

(my doubt is if with these processor is useless to have all that gb of ram , and if it's worth to spend for ssd memory but for only 128gb)

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016

The extra RAM and SSD are not useless, the SSD will speed up loading times in windows, not by a huge amount but the difference is noticable, there is not that big of a difference between these two devices as they are both pretty good Laptops so i would say its really down to weather you want the extra storage/ram at the expense of a slightly worse CPU.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
IMO an SSD is essential these days for a decent PC experience, laptop or otherwise.

Btw, companies like HIDevolution in the USA can do custom import laptops, and it works out no more expensive than buying them locally. I bought an MSI GE72-6QF from them, was slightly cheaper than buying a fixed config from Amazon UK, but I specced it better with a BDRW, more RAM, custom cooling, extra warranty stuff, etc.

Or you can of course buy a system with a cheap rust spinner and fit your own SSD. That's actually what I did, I bought the MSI with a basic 500GB 5400rpm with the free Win 10, replaced it with an SSD I already had (850 EVO 250GB) and put on Win7/64/Pro. From order to delivery, it took one week.

Shop around though, there are other places that do this sort of thing.

Some local places do offer reasonable configs, but all too often they have stuff like a 1TB rust spinner but only a 128GB SSD, which is dumb, or they'll put in more RAM instead of an SSD. I found it impossible to find any local seller that did a 6700HQ 970M laptop with 16GB RAM, BDRW and at least a 250GB SSD, so asking on forums someone recommended I look for a company like the above.

Whether or not it is cheaper btw will depend on current exchange rates and local import tax policies.

Either way, definitely end up with a system that has an SSD somehow! 8)

Ian.

PS. It's not just loading times btw. If anything it's more about general responsiveness and feel, eg. the system being able to handle background tasks like virus scans without bogging down everything else,
especially if one is gaming at the time, or working with video, etc. If you can though, do try for a final config with a 500GB minimum SSD. Normally I'd suggest the 850 EVO, but recent price hiking means it's perhaps wise to consider quality alternatives like SKHynix, SanDisk (I got a great deal on an X300 way back), etc. Or indeed consider used/new normal eBay auctions, eg. I recently bagged an 840 Pro 256GB for a good price, plus a Micron 256GB, LiteOn 256GB and others.

Martini McMurphy

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
Of course you should buy the one with SSD. I don't think the price is too big compared to the other one. You should absolutely go for the SSD and make the whole 128 GB as your operating system drive. I truly believe that you will not regret it.

Desktop I say you can go either way, laptop, somehow screams YES SSD. In fact, according to jsmithepa's book, laptops should have SSD ONLY and no vibrating HDD at all, but that's just wacko me. If this is a 15" desktop replacement that sits on a desk 24x7 then never mind.

Speed Fung

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013
SSD is type of storage that you can load much quicker than HDD.
It will affect your time of starting up your laptop, time to load up software, time to move files etc, the difference would be around 2 or 3 times quicker.
However, your 2 laptops have other differences
cpu - i7-6600HQ uses 3 times more power than i7-6500U so youll have less battery time (overheating might be an issue too), but HQ is quad core so it would be quicker than U which is dual core
RAM - 8gb is usually enough for most users, however if youre a heavy user you might benefit from 12gb
All being said, even with a quicker cpu, HDD would be a limiting factor, therefore i would recommend the laptop with ssd.
what are you planning to use this laptop for? Would you consider other models instead as with 800 euros, there are better models out there

loxpooig93

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016

I use computer for engineering programme, now not so heavy but i also like to play with some games, you talk about other better notebook for 850 € of budget, for example what models?

loxpooig93

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016

moreover i think i haven't underastand this sentence:
All being said, even with a quicker cpu, HDD would be a limiting factor, therefore i would recommend the laptop with hdd.

because if hdd is a limiting factor why you recommend it?

P.S: thank all for the anwers.. I think that thank to this community i'll choose a super pc :p !

Speed Fung

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013

i mean ssd (updated)

TRENDING THREADS