Question SSD to play on Televison, how?

Aug 17, 2023
I want to transfer my physical DVDs to an SSD, then play them on a TV / Monitor. I already have software to put the DVDs on the drive, but once they are there, I'm clueless how to make them play on the TV. This is for a friend who does not want to have to hook up her laptop to the TV.

What is important is that the huge database of movies on the SSD be easily and intuitively accessible. My friend already complains that the existing interface for Fire TV, or whatever it is, stinks.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023
What features would make a TV capable of playing from an SSD independently?

I don't have direct access to the TV, and my friend is unlikely to be willing or able to pull it out to look at the model/brand sticker.

I'm willing to buy her a replacment TV, but what feature would make a TV work with an SSD?

Aug 17, 2023
Many newer smart TVs are essentially Android devices and can install video players, like VLC, or come bundled with a general purpose player.

Do you have any idea how old the TV in question is, or even who makes it?

Yeah, part of the issue is I am age 60 and she is age 62.

All I know about Android is that it's part of the cell phone culture that makes people rude and lazy. I despise "wireless" and the word "app" and texting and all the "attitude" culture that goes with it.

I sit at a desk typing this; I am not a mutant. I don't type with my thumbs. I have decades of muscle memory invested in things continuing to work the way I learn them, and that is shit on every day.

I'll ask her make and model, but probably she will not be able to find out. Broken foot that healed wrong after botched surgery, two herniated disks, fibromyalgia, incipient dementia, depression, arthritis and more.
Neither one of us has much money or tech knowledge. She also has Aspergers and can be a huge pain in the ass to deal with, but I love her and want to make this happen; movies are one of the few things in life she can still enjoy. Her Social security disability got denied, and she's too messed up to appeal. It's not a good situation.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Thank you. Generally speaking, what feature makes a TV capable of playing directly from an SSD, with no computer hooked up?
When asking ChatGPT for an answer, this was correctly generated:

Many HDTVs come with built-in media players that support various video file formats. Users can play videos from USB drives or networked devices using these internal players. These media players often support popular video formats such as MP4, AVI, MKV, and more.

Note, this doesn't say all. Knowing the make/model will help in determining what the TV may already have or can be added (like installing an app on a smartphone).

Aug 17, 2023
When asking ChatGPT for an answer, this was correctly generated:

Many HDTVs come with built-in media players that support various video file formats. Users can play videos from USB drives or networked devices using these internal players. These media players often support popular video formats such as MP4, AVI, MKV, and more.

Note, this doesn't say all. Knowing the make/model will help in determining what the TV may already have or can be added (like installing an app on a smartphone).

"built in media player" is a bit vague. Doesn't the hardware have a specific name?

Search is only pulling up TVs with a DVD player built in. Research indicates that though some TVs will play off an SSD, there are lots of obnoxious restrictions.

I guess what I really need is :
Attach SSD to her laptop
Connect laptop to TV
Then the REALLY difficult hurdle: how to make is so she can sit across the room and control the computer. She cannot touch type, and she has arthritis. She has a "Fire Stick" whatever that is, and really hates the interface.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023
Smart TVs have on-board processors, much like an Android phone. If she has such a TV, she may have the ability to play back your videos. Trying to figure out what we are working with.

Thank you. Have you ever seen an ad / Amazon listing that listed "on board processor"?

I'm looking for a model that explicitly states it has this capability.....can I really be the only person wanting to transfer physical DVDs to an SSD and play them on a TV with minimal hassle?

Last edited: