Stalker Issue, Clueless?!

T_larson911

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
I'm not sure exactly where to post this so I'll be brief, but a relative is having issues with privacy not only with her computer, but with her phones. She worked at this place and some guy gave her a flashdrive with music on it before all of this seemed to happen. She said he's computer savvy. It started off with the desktop then the guy has been able to monitor her phones (microphone)...posts statuses on his wall and stuff saying what he hears (microwave going off when she leaves phone in the kitchen). She tried buying new phones (not sure if they are under the same plan), different numbers and no luck. It's like he seems to know when she gets a new phone.
I've cleaned up the desktop as best I could and everything seems normal with that.
But I am currently stumped on how this individual can gain access to a mobile device like that. I don't even know where to start. :??:

If you guys know of any other forum I should check with or where I should post this thread, that would be greatly appreciated. Ask questions if needed. Thanks :)

Solution
If this is actually happening...

1. Contact the police
2. From a known clean PC, change all of the users passwords to every single online resource she uses. All of them.
3. Change phone number(s)
4. Full wipe and reinstall of that affected PC.

You have to do all this sort of at the same time.

Ahmed Ifham

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016
Also how many phones did she own and how many more did she buy ? did she change sim cards, ? its important to know the modela of the phones she owned . and dkes the problem srill persist

T_larson911

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011

She said that she was given a USB flash drive from a guy who said there was some music on it for her. Also, her work has employees run software related to work and she has another mobile phone for work. Both, personal and work, phones are under her same plan also. So far that is all I know from what they (she and her husband) told me they know. This stalker was a coworker of hers and she said the problems began after she was given the flash drive with "said music". Although, I am not sure if that guy found a way to get into her phone through one of their work related phone applications. She changed phones and numbers but he could still monitor the microphone, but these different phones are under the same plan also. I'm guessing her service provider account had been comprised somehow. I just don't understand how this works.

I will check in with them to see if the different phones she used the same SIM card or not. I believe this was the third personal phone she tried and the problem still persists.

Ahmed Ifham

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016

T_larson911

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011

She thinks it happened after she plugged the flashdrive in, that she was given. I checked the desktop and everything is fine with it now. I couldn't really find anything specific to a monitoring application. BUT. that desktop has been wiped and Ubuntu has been put on it. So the computer is not a concern now. The only problem is the phone now.

Jen_Sai

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016
I don't have any technological advice but I do hope your relative has contacted the police and reported the inappropriate behaviour of her colleague to her manager/boss?

USAFRet

Illustrious
If this is actually happening...

1. Contact the police
2. From a known clean PC, change all of the users passwords to every single online resource she uses. All of them.
3. Change phone number(s)
4. Full wipe and reinstall of that affected PC.

You have to do all this sort of at the same time.

Solution