Star Trek Online Goes Open Beta in January

Status
Not open for further replies.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
ST online looks good ,I'm looking forward to ST excalibur a little more for one it's free and it looks better,I don't know how the Multiplayer will work out though.

hellswaters

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Its 'The Next Generation' not 'New Generation.' Hope this game turns out good. From whats being said, looks like it might be half decent though.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Star Trek is my religion(except Deep Space 9, that sucked balls).
Hell, my 70 something trekky grandma would probably try this game...

Onyx2291

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
Cool. Too bad I never got into any of this. I did sign up for the Star War Old Republic one for beta test. I need something to get me out of WoW.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]Star Trek is my religion(except Deep Space 9, that sucked balls).Hell, my 70 something trekky grandma would probably try this game...[/citation]

DS9 was a great series (apart from season 1 and most of season 2)!

I must say I'm looking forward to this game and I'm not an MMO fan but I do want to give this spin.

G

I definitely agree with you anamaniac 1. DS9 was full of pretentious, dull characters (the only good ones being imported from TNG!), a static, fatalistic setting (wich Roddenberry himself had rejected), idiotic Star Wars-copied battles (limited to close-quarter sublight atmospheric style combat with huge starships exploding in one shots like tie fighters) and worse of all, an anti-Star Trek vision of the future (a criminal Captain, an immoral Starfleet division and war as the answer to problems).
Alas, it is canon now...

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]JeanLuc[/nom]DS9 was a great series (apart from season 1 and most of season 2)! I must say I'm looking forward to this game and I'm not an MMO fan but I do want to give this spin.[/citation]
Yeah, seasons 1 and 2 were weak. Once they got into the whole Founder plotline, it started getting interesting. Then, when the Dominion war started, it got really good. There were a couple of episodes where you had these absolutely huge battles where fleets of Federation/Klingon/Romulan ships engaged fleets of Dominion/Cardassian ships. It was very cool!

Anyway, yes I am also looking forward to this game and hope they do a good job with it.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Fan since 1966[/nom]an immoral Starfleet division and war as the answer to problems).Alas, it is canon now...[/citation]
You know, it's easy to be idealistic when you're talking about stuff that you only see on television. When it affects you personally, all of that goes out the window and you're purely in survival mode. Believe it or not, war IS an answer to problems when the interests of two opposing sides are mutually exclusive (i.e. one side wants you dead, and you want to not be dead). Or, to put this in terms you might understand... how many times did Captain Kirk (and don't get me wrong, he is still my favorite captain) break the Prime Directive? How many times did he shoot first and ask questions later? While he always worked for peace, sometimes the route to that peace was war or violence (e.g. Return of the Archons, A Taste of Armageddon, The Apple, Friday's Child, Patterns of Force, A Private Little War, to name a few). How do you explain General Order 24? That was a Roddenberry creation. Scotty also has very clear thoughts on this matter, "The best diplomat I know is a fully charged phaser bank!"

The bottom line is that, Roddenberry never preached pacifism or absolute morality. He did look to a future with a world better than the one today. But he stated that a better future and war were mutually exclusive concepts.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]But he stated that a better future and war were mutually exclusive concepts.[/citation]
That should have been, he never stated that a better future and war were mutually exclusive concepts (Toms... when will we get an edit function?).

lowguppy

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Sounds like a good sci-fi fix for the two weeks leading up to the Mass Effect 2 release, which happens to be the same day the beta closes.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]Fan since 1966[/nom]I definitely agree with you anamaniac 1. DS9 was full of pretentious, dull characters (the only good ones being imported from TNG!), a static, fatalistic setting (wich Roddenberry himself had rejected), idiotic Star Wars-copied battles (limited to close-quarter sublight atmospheric style combat with huge starships exploding in one shots like tie fighters) and worse of all, an anti-Star Trek vision of the future (a criminal Captain, an immoral Starfleet division and war as the answer to problems).Alas, it is canon now...[/citation]

Umm.. did you ever watch the original series? Maybe it was "Anti-Next Generation" vision, but it was not "anti-Star Trek" vision. It showed a more dark and gritty side of the Star Trek universe, one which exists, even if the Next Generation didn't show it off very often. The "Star Trek Vision" changed (by Gene himself) many times over the years.

The original series and Next Generation will always be my favorites, but DS9 was also excellent in it's own right, much better than that garbage known as Voyager.

Ed Brown

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Looks pretty good. I'm hope they manage to set the learning curve at an even balance between immediate playability (Star Wars Online Jump to Lightspeed) and hard core nitty-gritty detail (Eve Online).

They mention being able to beam down to planets but it appears that won't be in at launch unless I've missed something.

There's no way I'll be leaving Eve for this but it looks like it'll be fun to get together with my Eve alliance mates (who are highly-disciplined fighters) and roll over some poor WoW kiddies in PvP, heh heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.