Starting from scratch, TV and audio

Zyphrax

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Starting from scratch I'm looking for a TV, a receiver and a matching set of speakers.
My living room is square in shape, between 200 - 250 square feet.

My previous set-up (not the same house, area was a bit smaller):
- TV: Samsung UA46D7000
- Audio: Logitech Z-5500

In my new home I want to spend a bit more the equipment; bigger screen, better audio. The maximum I want to spend is between $2,500 and $3,000, excluding cables and other small stuff.

My selection so far:
- TV: Samsung UN60JS7000
- Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR737
- Speakers opt 1: Energy Take Classic TK-CLASSI-5-1
- Speakers opt 2: Klipsch R-26F / RP-160 (expensive)

Can you guys help me out?

I think the TV selection is ok, I've read that the 8xxx and 9xxx series have darker blacks, but the 7xxx series is quite affordable. The SUHD looks great, I've looked at a couple of them in store. I'm not really interested in 3D or curved. The 60 inch is a VA panel vs the IPS of the 55 inch, but I'd rather sacrifice viewing angle for darker blacks.

The receiver might be a bit higher in specs than I really need, but I'm looking for a receiver that can last a couple of years. I like the automatic speaker set-up with the microphone, and at least want to make sure that HDMI compatibility isn't going to give a headache in the coming years. I'm still looking at a few comparable models by Denon and Yamaha.

When it comes to speakers I don't know where to start. The Z-5500 was great, but I want at least one step better than that (leaving the area of computer speakers behind). My biggest gripe with the Z-5500 was that it had a so called American-bass; really heavy, had to turn it all the way down :). I'm in a freestanding house now, so noise shouldn't be an issue, but I'm looking for quality over quantity.

Thanks!

Oh and yes, black friday is around the corner, I'm looking for sweet deals :)
For example: Klipsch is going to be 50% off at Best Buy.

Hello,

Would you be interested in buying a projector instead? They do tend to make a little bit of noise due to the very hot lamps, but 60" may seem like a big size for most people, however, majority want to move up in size. On the other hand, 60" is quite big and LCD's are dead silent in comparison. I would still get a projector for a dedicated cinema, as compared to TV's, it does give you the cinema feel, which TV's can't do. A UHD projector is more than your whole budget, but 1080p ones can do a really good job.

Regarding the TV, I don't know if it will support HDR (High Dynamic Range), some older TV's are going to be updated to support this. But it's not yet a standard, as multiple companies are coming up with their own solutions. It's also going to require the new HDMI 2.0a spec as well. I would honestly wait if that's something you're interested in. The new UHD blu-ray players are going to support HDR via HDMI 2.0a, which is why this is an important decision, since it does make a pretty big difference in overall picture quality.

Regarding speakers, that depends on what setup you're going for. Interested to try atmos, etc. There are a lot of options out there. Most common being 5.1.

That's my opinion on this.

All the best!

Zyphrax

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Hi Suzuki, thank you for your reply.

I'm not sure if a projector is my cup of tea. I kinda hate humming noises, which I expect it will make and I think that with a projector you have to darken the room to watch some normal TV (I'm not sure how accurate that is nowadays). I'll check out some reviews to be sure.

Thanks for the tip on HDR, I'll check if the TV supports it.

Atmos looks great, but I'm not sure if it fits in my price range, expensive stuff :)

I don't blame you. But really a bigger screen is definitely the way to go for a home cinema. If your plan is to also watch TV, then a TV is obviously a much better choice. Now, what speaker setup are you going for? Keep in mind that your room is your main sound processor, buying expensive speakers isn't ideal if your room is not designed/decorated for them.

Do take a look at projectors. There will be a little fan noise but not much and you can position the projector away from you. If you can't watch TV with a fan on in the room then it's not for you. As long as you have light control at the screen end of the room most projectors are more than bright enough.
Onkyo or Denon are fine in that price range. Given you comment about the logitech I would say the Energy would be better for you than the Klipsch. Consider Paradigm speakers too. Excellent sound and value.

Zyphrax

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Hi guys, thank you for your replies. Sorry for not responding earlier, I've had some family over for the holidays, crazy busy :)

I went to the Magnolia at Best Buy and have bought the items below:
- TV: Samsung UN65JS8500
- Receiver: Yamaha RX-AV750
- Speakers: Definitive Technology BP-8020ST system

I've mounted the TV on the wall, and it all looks and sounds great!
And because of early black friday deals I've managed to get a great discount

I can recommend the setup above!