Starting spot for building a new computer

Alex The Magician

Estimable
Dec 10, 2015
So i have a 2 1/2 yr old Alienware Laptop. Used it for general school, gaming (league, dishonored, AC3-4, etc) as well as some pretty extensive 3-d modeling (engineering major). Lately ive noticed that although my laptop is fine for general use, i need something better/stronger. So Im wondering how can i build a computer speciffically for intense modeling and gaming? Does anyone know a good way to get started? Also anything recommended graphic, CPU, ram, and or memory i should take note of?

Whtwolf

Estimable
Dec 23, 2014
This site, and PCPartPicker both have long lists of possible PC build configurations. It all depends on your personal requirements, and your available budget.

Happy Hunting!

Alex The Magician

Estimable
Dec 10, 2015

So in terms of budget, I guess i have around $900-$1100, but thats all i know, I want a nice graphics card capable of intesnse 3d modeling and graphic demanding games, also i would like a fast CPU but i dont have a clue as to what brand, model, etc. also mother board(s) and ram suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If there is a specific area that has some of this information (or all of it :) ) could you point me that direction?

Thanks again.

P.S. OS must be Windows or Linux, no Apple/Mac.

What gpu do you have in the alienware? I ask this as the max gpu you will get is the gtx 850m I think at the highest end. Maybe gtx 860m if you are looking at the lenovo y50 models which I would avoid.

You could look at xotic pc or laptop building websites like that.