Starting to Shop Around for a Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miliardo

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017
Hello, good sir or madam. Allow me to preface this thread with the following:
I have little in-depth knowledge about computers or cameras, and some would say I know nothing at all.
My Google-fu is relatively strong, thanks to being a neophyte. So, responses may come slow as I do some research.

I'm starting a business in the next few months, prospectively in the early summer. As part of it, I want to be able to record & edit video and live stream, preferably both in 1080p @ 60fps. And, those fancy numbers right there are about all I really know about computer specs & such w/o research or my memory being jogged significantly. I'm looking for a laptop specifically for the travel advantage; some of the video projects are automotive in nature, and just about all of them require on-site filming. I know I need to get a couple of solid cameras and gear, as well, but that's Step Two. I want to get the laptop squared away first, as it's central to the business.

No budget is set in stone, and no plan survives contact with the enemy, but I am currently putting aside for a $2,500 budget. That number can certainly go up for a worthy machine, but doing so pushes back the date of purchase. I would prefer a 17" laptop, and weight is not an issue. Windows OS is a must. A solid battery life is also a must, as it will need to survive constant cycles of charged-to-drained (and shorter cycles) as well as extended use while plugged into the wall. High-end gaming is something I would like to do, but it isn't a must-have; it's more important that the beast be able to route another machine's feed, say my Xbox One or a co-worker's laptop. However, it does have to be able to run modern games (your CoD's, Battlefields, etc.) at least at middle-of-the-road settings, as part of the business is creating written video game reviews, which will require screenshots. VR is not a requirement.

Ideally, I would like to keep this future laptop running well for two years. I'd really like a warranty to come with it. I want 3 or more TB of storage, but I can settle for 2 on a hard disk. Solid state drives tend to be quite costly in comparison to hard disks, but I'm open to a hybrid setup if there are real advantages to using one. I'm not aware of those advantages, save for the swifter loading times of an OS packaged on a SSD. As I implied above, I'm not well-versed in your arcane lore, wizard.

So, let's talk Step One, which is four questions. Given what I need...
1) What sort of laptops should I look for? Do I want to look for a whole package, pre-built deal, or should I hunt for components and have them assembled? Unless it's easy stuff, I will probably accidentally destroy something. I'm careful, but I'm not a computer builder, though I can follow directions and a well made video guide. Translation: I'm willing to work hard for the money, aah, but I got two left feet when it comes to PC/laptop building.

2) What are your recommendations? I have no bias against any company or product, and will entertain any Windows-based possibility. Again, I'm very interested in having a useful warranty sitting behind the laptop, so please let that guide your recommendations.

3) What sort of components and features should I prioritize over others? I can't easily replace the laptop if it fails, and I have to make every dollar and cent count. If I don't need an Alpha Turbo II Edition flux capacitor, but having a Rockman-flavored rain catch would be in my best interest, please apprise me.

4) Given that I have a little time before this becomes a necessity, should I wait for anything in particular? I know different companies release products at different times, and, while I certainly don't (believe) I need anything cutting edge, top-of-the-line, I know things tend to go on sale when the new hotness is released. I am assuming, perhaps unjustly, that this thinking applies to what I'm looking for. And, maybe the new hotness is what I'm looking for.

As an aside, I am rough on my stuff, but I do the required maintenance or see it done by someone competent, and try to keep up on preventative maintenance. Durability is preferred, especially given some work will be done while in the passenger seat of a moving vehicle. I live on the east coast of the US, so all of our roads are so pockmarked you'd think you're driving on a junior prom. Winter is not kind out here.

Thanks for reading that whole thing. I appreciate your feedback.

Based on your need to edit and stream video, you want a good CPU, which means a workstation or gaming class system.

Since you will be moving it around you want something sturdy. Lenovo P models are good for you. http://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-p/P50/p/22TP2WPWP50 or http://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-p/P70/p/22TP2WPWP70 for a larger screen. Don't worry much about the RAM, you can upgrade that easily yourself. You would be using an external box for any video processing anyway so don't worry about inputs or outputs.

Miliardo

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017
Thanks for the info. I've heard good things about Thinkpads, and I'm starting to see why. I'm gonna what sort of additional info I can dig up on them.

Oh. Ooohhh. I just saw the 4 RAM slots. I'm liking this.

Yes 4 RAM slots are nice, and the higher end laptops do come with them. My Lenovo W520 is my favorite laptop I have worked on, built like a tank, 4 RAM slots, i7 CPU, good scree, nVidia Quadro video card. At a tech, I find the Lenovo ThinkPads the best systems overall. Easy to work on, tough to damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.