Starz Dumps Netflix for Blockbuster Streaming Subs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aionism

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Every time I found out something I wanted to watch was from Starz I nearly cried because I knew the quality would be awful and it would probably be cropped to some aspect ratio that it wasn't intended to be in.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]The Netflix fanboys have hit this page in force. Trying to argue that the price hike's not a big deal and to get over it; or that Netflix was getting screwed. Stop identifying yourselves with a corporation or product already. They hiked prices, and they screwed up their site design, and now they lost most of their content that is actually recent and good. As such anyone whose not entangled their feeling of self worth with Netflix sees the need, nay the desire, for a real competitor.[/citation]

i'm assuming that you are partially referring to me.
netflix is being forced to pay 10X+ what they originaly had for streaming soon. thats a fact, chargeing more for streaming because of that... i cant see how its not obvious.
netflix is really just takeing away the bundle priceing... again its not THAT big of a deal.

where i live, my alternatives are, pay 6$ per movie locally, page 9$ per redbox movie, +2$ every day i keep it, the 9$ is including gas prices for going to and coming back from. pay 7$ (5$sd) per movie on demand, or pay 20some for unlimited streaming and 2 dvds at a time.

to me, even if netflix cost me 100$ a month, it would still be a great value, all alternatives considered.

remember, netflix isn't raising the price, they are taking away the bundle deal.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
o yea, i should also point out that i joined netflix 2 months before the no bundle deal was proposed.

if anything i may just drop streaming, just because of how little content that i REALLY want to see is on it, sure it has a few things, but most the time, is dvds.

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I've been a member of netflix for over 3 years...cut my cable bill and see less movies in the theater. $80 (yes that is the basic plan...love small town monopolies!) for cable and two movies in the theater with the wife ~$40 was costing me $120 a month for what I get from netflix for $16. If blockbuster can keep the variety and offer better pricing than netflix, I'd be tempted to switch but I think netflix will end up just slashing their price to stay competitive.

Things that netflix can do better or if blockbuster offers will make me switch:
1. language selection...hate being forced to watch English dubbed films unless I get the dvd
2. website, it is terrible to navigate
3. eliminate the mailing system. Just let me pick an opiton like stream one movie a day or 3 a week or whatever you think is reasonable...not only will it allow me to get my movies faster it will make it harder to pirate >.> oh but only if they do #1.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]Spartacus blows. All it is, is violence and nudity.[/citation]
**Immediately signs up for Blockbuster streaming**

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
I've fallen in love with Netflix. $20+ per person to see a movie at my local theatre, and $6-8 to rent a movie for only a few days.
Personally I feel that Netflix.ca gives me a great deal. I pay $90/month for my phone, and $85/month for my internet, so what's a few dollars a month from Netflix?

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Any time prices go up, people will bitch.

But things have to be profitable. Taking how muhc movies people watch/stream, keeping things cheap to get more customers, take a long time to pay off, as I am sure people use a lot of bandwidth/server power etc. So, prices do have to go up to something reasoable to help pay for stuff and help to pay for new stuff.

Loosing bundling isn't a big deal, becuase the two services are pretty cheap.

So why is people complaining over $16 ? Don't be so cheap, get a job.

A movie channel on cable is $8+, and it usually crappy mobvies all the time, and good movies when you are not watching. Also to rent a DVD usually costs $5+, so if you just have more then 1 dvd out from netflix a month, it pays for itself + you can keep it as long as you want + watch it when you want.

So $16 is peanuts. Yes it sucks when prices go up, but they were really really really cheap when it first came out. What can you espect? almost freebies forever? Candies and comics use to be $.05 !!!

Neflix works on up to 5 consoles at once, so my dad is using it at his house on his WII, and I am too. So I am more hten getting my value out of netflix.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]shqtth[/nom]Loosing bundling isn't a big deal, becuase the two services are pretty cheap.

So why is people complaining over $16 ? Don't be so cheap, get a job.[/citation]
I have a job, but I'm not an idiot with money. Netflix streaming is okay, but their selection has never been spectacular, especially if you want anything in high definition. The quality can be excruciating if your connection ever slows, and forget streaming HD movies....even with a good connection it's not going to be anything near as crisp as a movie on a Bluray disc.

I've been a Netflix customer since they started the streaming service. I've been paying even though I don't often watch movies because of their selection. For the most part I've been waiting for the service to get better, offering more HD content, and more movies from this century. Most of the newly released movies on their streaming side are ancient. I guess if I was a huge 90's movie fan I'd like the service more, but I like new movies.

Just put my account on hold, if they don't make significant changes soon I'll just cancel it. I hope this Blockbuster deal goes well because so far it sounds pretty promising.

G

Someone said they are not raising the price but taking the bundle away. That is raising the price buddy I was paying 10 for both and now Im paying 16. Wait no im not I got rid of the bundle. Now since the announcement of the price hike starz and sony dropped them. The best movie they put out lately was the fighter. If netflix continues streaming like that they will lose subscribers oh wait they are losing subscribers. I cant wait for blockbuster to do their services they already had a good relationship with movie providers and having dish network behind it is awesome.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
I've been a streaming Netflix customer since the beginning... but I always figured the prices weren't going to stay low once enough people started using it. Low prices were like the free crack sample... to get enough people hooked.

Now that there's a bunch of us using streaming... you're going to get price increases and competition. Of course the competition isn't competition for consumers... but rather for the content providers. Providers like Starz will shop out their media to the highest bidder, meaning higher prices for the consumer. Sucks to be us.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]D_Kuhn[/nom]I've been a streaming Netflix customer since the beginning... but I always figured the prices weren't going to stay low once enough people started using it. Low prices were like the free crack sample... to get enough people hooked.Now that there's a bunch of us using streaming... you're going to get price increases and competition. Of course the competition isn't competition for consumers... but rather for the content providers. Providers like Starz will shop out their media to the highest bidder, meaning higher prices for the consumer. Sucks to be us.[/citation]
its not going up because they want to, its because they are being charged a crap ton by studios. they are the worst part about movies.

that said.

[citation][nom]shqtth[/nom]Any time prices go up, people will bitch.But things have to be profitable. Taking how muhc movies people watch/stream, keeping things cheap to get more customers, take a long time to pay off, as I am sure people use a lot of bandwidth/server power etc. So, prices do have to go up to something reasoable to help pay for stuff and help to pay for new stuff.Loosing bundling isn't a big deal, becuase the two services are pretty cheap.So why is people complaining over $16 ? Don't be so cheap, get a job.A movie channel on cable is $8+, and it usually crappy mobvies all the time, and good movies when you are not watching. Also to rent a DVD usually costs $5+, so if you just have more then 1 dvd out from netflix a month, it pays for itself + you can keep it as long as you want + watch it when you want.So $16 is peanuts. Yes it sucks when prices go up, but they were really really really cheap when it first came out. What can you espect? almost freebies forever? Candies and comics use to be $.05 !!!Neflix works on up to 5 consoles at once, so my dad is using it at his house on his WII, and I am too. So I am more hten getting my value out of netflix.[/citation]

i agree with you, but at the same time, i despise when people tell others "get a job" because the fact is, even if you aren't blowing your money, at the end of any given month, you should count yourself lucky if you even have 100$ left over.

i can get where people complain that they have to pay... what, 6$ more, a month, but i also look at what you get for that extra 6...

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Ya, I really dont get what people are complaining about. Compared to everywhere else Netflix is still 1/2 or less the price of the competition. Sure, they dont have EVERYTHING, but there is still quite a bit of good content on there. Adding Star Trek recently is keeping me coming until I finish all of those. But I have had Netflix for about 7 years (before streaming services) and they have always been great, never had any problems with them. But at the same time I have watched just about everything I am interested in watching... so maybe I will be moving on soon. But price is not the issue

thaile4ever

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
Netflix is not raising prices for no reason. In the beginning Netflix was the only one doing streaming. If a studio wanted to stream their content they had little choice, but to agree to Netflix pricing.

Flash forward a few years, and now everyone starting to do it. Content provider have a choice now and the ball is in their court. Oh I don't like how much you're paying us, we're going to go with your competitor if you don't pay us more.

Why do you think all these new steaming services are poping up now? That's because Netflix contracts with these content companies are ending soon.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]Sure, they dont have EVERYTHING, but there is still quite a bit of good content on there. Adding Star Trek recently is keeping me coming until I finish all of those.[/citation]
This is exactly the point I was trying to make. Netflix is great if you like watching reruns and documentaries, but good luck finding a good number of recent releases or anything in high def.

Netflix has had a lot of time to improve their selection, but they just keep adding old titles and a handful of badly compressed HD movies. What is most annoying is that many TV series can be streamed up until the finally which requires a DVD subscription. I hated this even when I had both because I had to wait for the stupid DVD to come in the mail just for one episode!

Netflix has had plenty of time and plenty of subscribers backing them to improve and they failed, now I really don't care to see if they loose more customers. If you don't provide a service people are willing to pay for you're going to loose customers, it's pretty simple.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]Spartacus blows. All it is, is violence and nudity.[/citation]

and how is that any different than 90% of hollywood made movies ?

G

You say Spartacus has only violence and nudity. Sounds goos to me. Where and how do I get it?

cdolive

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I've had Netflix for over a year now. In the beginning, I only needed to stream to 1 device. When I wanted to stream to two devices, it didn't work. Only one device could stream at a time. Customer support told me that, in order to stream to 2 devices, I had to upgrade to the 2 DVDs a month plan. When I wanted to stream to 3 devices a few months ago, customer support again told me that I had to upgrade to the 3 DVDs a month plan in order to stream to 3 devices. I called 2 weeks ago asking them what would happen if I cut my DVDs and just kept the streaming. I was told that I would still be able to stream on 1 device, but not 3 at the same time. Granted, all 3 would work, but they could not all be used at the same time to watch 3 different shows/movies. So yeah, you can have up to 5 Netflix enabled devices on one account, but not all 5 can watch at the same time. Just wanted to clear that up.

In regards to this whole price increase, I don't mind paying a few bucks more every month considering how much my family and I use the service. However, it seems to me that Netflix may lose more content since they've already lost Starz. Starz didn't always have the best shows, but there were definitely some shows that I watched over the past year that were from Starz. When Blockbuster releases their streaming service, I won't lie and say that I'll 100% stick with Netflix. I don't care if they're the little fish in the pond and big fish are trying to take over. Bottom line for me is price vs. content. If Netflix slashes their prices to keep customers, I may stay with Netflix. If Blockbuster starts offering all the stuff that I want to watch, and at a competitive price, I may switch to BB. So bottom line for me is PRICE vs. CONTENT.

I'm not a fanboy of any service. I just want to get a good deal along with good stuff to watch. I don't care if I have to pay more for a certain service if that service is offering the shows I want to watch. However, if both companies are offering the same content but one is offering a bit more, then I'll switch to whoever is offering a bit more as long as the price is reasonable. Screw all this Fanboy talk about who is better or who's getting screwed. We are in a recession. Money is tight for just about everyone. You are going to pick what you feel is best for you and that's it. In the end, it doesn't matter if Big dogs are taking over - all the people care about is not getting screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.