Starz Dumps Netflix for Blockbuster Streaming Subs

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

capt_taco

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
A little competition is never a bad thing. Netflix was really starting to gear up for full-on gang raping the consumer. Who knows if the Blockbuster alternative will be any better, but I'm glad they nipped the uncontested monopoly thing in the bud just as it was getting off the ground.

If it's the same price with anything near the same selection, I'm sure a lot of people will switch over just to give Netflix the finger for their arrogance.

G

I'm confused?? All these people that are saying blockbuster charges too much in their stores, must not have been in a blockbuster since before summer. They don't charge more than $2.99 for any movie (as long as you aren't an idiot and return the next day, and even then it's just .99 cents for an extra day), they gave me free movies for all of june, and on Sundays I can go get rentals for .49 cents! Where else can you do that? I canceled the by mail part of netflix and once blockbuster has streaming I will be signing up with them!!! Guys should stop in to a blockbuster, at least you would know what you are talking about then.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
The real issue is going to be fragmentation of the market. Each studio will end up partnered with a streaming provider, and most people will have to pick just one or two (sorta like the console wars) and do without a lot of the movies that they would like to see.

It's almost enough to make me wish the government would force the studios to license to anyone at the same price. Almost.

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
for what you get with netflix, it's still pretty good pricing,, it's only expensive if you want both types of media,, they are just trying to get people off the DVD's without straight out dropping the service.

I do wish they had a bit more other content (I'm in Canada) as I find that they are a bit slow to license it here when you could watch it if you were in the USA.... Also, I wish more devices were supported (media players) as the ones that are here in Canada kinda suck unless you use a PC, ipad or game system,, standalones such as bluray players are just horrid at streaming netflix.

coverfire

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2003
Netflix needs to get their crap together, Why can I watch a current release from blockbuster or payper view but I have to wait 30 days for netflix to have them? If they are as big as they are they should have worked that issue out day one.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Dish network basically bought the name Block Buster since it is a widely known video store and now streaming service. I see it doing well if prices are competitive. Netflix may have hurt itself with decisions made in the last year with consequences for the following years to come unless they can pull off content from Showtime and/or Cinemax since HBO has their own steaming service.

Status
Not open for further replies.